What's new

Mail, 'All Inboxes', does not show btinternet mail

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
I recently graduated from an Phone 3G (iOS 4.2.1) to an iPhone 5S (iOS 9.2.1). I have three mail accounts: a gmail one, my work (college) Exchange one and a btinternet imap one.

Mail addressed to either of the first two addresses appears both in its respective inbox and in 'All Inboxes'. Mysteriously, however, mail addressed to my btinternet address appears in the BT Internet inbox, but does not appear in 'All Inboxes'. Instead, an email dated 01/01/1970 and headed 'No Sender', 'No Subject' and 'This message has no content' appears in 'All Inboxes'.

This extraordinary behaviour is new in my iPhone 5S. It did not happen in my old iPhone 3G, and does not happen in my Mac desktop (OS 10.8.5).

The fact that mail addressed to my btinternet address does show up in the BT Internet inbox indicates, does it not, that the btinternet account is correctly configured. So how is it that mail addressed to this account, and to neither of the others, fails to show in 'All Inboxes'? Any suggestions as to why, and what I can do about it, will be gratefully received.

No idea why this happens, but here are a few things you can do:

First, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap the BT Internet account and disable Mail. Then close the Settings app, and enable Mail again.

If this doesn't help, force close the Mail app: double tap the Home button to show the multitask bar, then slide the thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

A reset would be the next thing to try, if the advice above doesn't solve your problem: press and hold Power and Home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of both. Your iPhone will power up on it's own.

Hope that helps.

No idea why this happens, but here are a few things you can do:

First, go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap the BT Internet account and disable Mail. Then close the Settings app, and enable Mail again.

If this doesn't help, force close the Mail app: double tap the Home button to show the multitask bar, then slide the thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

A reset would be the next thing to try, if the advice above doesn't solve your problem: press and hold Power and Home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of both. Your iPhone will power up on it's own.

Hope that helps.

That's fantastic, J.A.! Your first suggestion - except that I had to reopen Settings in order to re-enable the btinternet account - did the trick straightaway. The mystery remains unsolved, but I can read my mails without hindrance!

Many thanks, and especially for replyingso quickly.

Michael Graubart.