What's new

Gmail 2.0 update, or just a cruel tease?

iMike

Reaction score
I got a notice in my App Store that there's an update to Gmail, to be 2.0, with multiple account support.

Alas, alas...I tried to download, and a pop-up screen cruelly informed me that the item is no longer available. Indeed, Gmail is not available at all in the App Store as I type this.

And lest anyone doubteth I....

$photo.jpg

Oh, cruel world, why doth thou mocketh me?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm getting it now myself, directly through the App Store on my baby. iTunes doesn't yet reflect 2.0, at least for me.

Good. Now I can delete this poor excuse of an application.

This will probably go as the dumb question of the day, but why do you need a gmail app? Is it because of multiple email accounts? I only use gmail and I use the stock mail app with the phone. Am I missing out on something here?

In my opinion no. But some people like to use the Google version of the app to get the most out of their product offerings. Personally, the Apple Mail app is faster and does everything the Gmail app does save for labels.

Interesting. Why download an unnecessary app? Just uses up space. Not that I don't a few of those "unnecessary" apps myself. :)

For me, my iPhone is everything. It's my life. To give you an example, I broke up with my girlfriend because she gave up her iPhone and got an Android. More to the point, the Gmail 2.0 app is awesome to me because it allows me to have push e-mail on my e-mail accounts, most of which are on the Gmail platform, since I have a Google Apps professional account for my home.

Because of the upgrade, only a few, lesser-used e-mail account use the stock e-mail platform, and I can live with hourly polls for those.

Just as an FYI, I have multiple gmail accounts setup thru Mail and they are all setup as PUSH. I refuse to turn on PULL accounts. Those only get checked if I open Mail.

For me, my iPhone is everything. It's my life. To give you an example, I broke up with my girlfriend because she gave up her iPhone and got an Android.

This is definitely off topic but the OP brought it up. I have never heard of anybody breaking up with someone over Android vs. iPhone, and if I ever did I would have imagined it would be an Android fanboy not an iPhone one.

You don't have to go into detail, it's your business but was that the only reason or the straw that broke the camel's back.

I only brought it up because it just happened last weekend. We were together for three years, and she moved out of my home a few days ago. That was the only thing wrong in the relationship, but you know how they have a roommate agreement on Big Bang Theory? We stole that and made a relationship agreement, and in there it stated that if one party got rid of their iPhone, the other party "shall enjoy the right, but not an obligation, to terminate the relationship with no notice." So I exercised my option. I need a girl with FaceTime, iMessage, and, quite frankly, an iPhone in general. That's just not up for negotiation.

Given my dedication to the product, you can imagine my joy today after the release of Gmail 2.0. Gotta have my push mail.

Thanks. It's just how I run my life. I fell in love with a girl with an iPhone, and I expected that variable to stay steady. Yeah, when you change the dynamic in any situation, the situation itself can be ruined. So it was here. I think Steve Jobs, rest his soul, would be proud.

Last edited:
For the record, the upgrade is AWESOME.

- It's much, much faster.
- The new interface makes it much more like the desktop experience.
- The multiple accounts feature is a wonderful thing indeed.

Too awesome for words.