What's new

Giving the 5s a try

hinds90

Reaction score
I've been switching back and forth between iPhones and samsungs for the last year or so. Galaxy nexus, iphone 4, iPhone 4S, galaxy s3, iphone 5, galaxy s4, galaxy note 3, and now iphone 5s...... Lol yeah I have a problem. I loved the s4 and even more the note 3 especially but said hey I can always switch back so traded for a 5s. I will give apple one thing they took a lot of the tweaks I used on the iphone 5 and carried them over to the new iOS which is a good thing I think (please bring over more lol). My only gripe is the small screen that keeps me leaving iPhones. I don't understand why they made the 5c with a color back and not a bigger screen phone that way you appease both crowds who wanted to keep a smaller screen and those who wanted a bigger screen.

Overall I think the phone is great besides the battery life and screen size. The note 3 blows it out of the water in that aspect even with heavy use. I don't care what phone people get just wanted to give my perspective. As of now I plan on keeping the 5s until the next jailbreak or new round of phones are released

I've always bought android phones myself. That was until they released the iPhone 5c. This is my first iPhone honestly. I've also got a Note III on my other line.

I change phones as much as a car enthusiast changes parts. Heh.

I also came from a note 3. It was too buggy for me. Had the note2 and never had any problems with it. The 5s is my 5th iPhone so far. I too switch phones more than shirts it seems. The small screen is the worst part but it is easier to pocket than the notes were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had the note (just WAY too big of a phone imo) BUT have always had androids and last was the galaxy s3, an HTC droid DNA, and I just made the switch to the iphone 5s! I initially was concerned with the smaller screen, but now don't even notice it. I love the increased pocketability! PLUS I love how NON glitchy the phone is!

I was under the impression that with lte you can browse the web while in a call? I know with samsung 4g lte you can.

I was under the impression that with lte you can browse the web while in a call? I know with samsung 4g lte you can.

I think this will depend on the frequency and bands that are included with the LTE.

Hmm no big deal was just curious because after I got out of a call i saw it at 1x.

On a side note i love being so close to a tower.

Hmm no big deal was just curious because after I got out of a call i saw it at 1x. On a side note i love being so close to a tower.

Yeah. Mine does not have useable internet on a call. Mine is through Boost Mobile, a subsidiary of Sprint.

That is one of the only drawbacks I have found. No internet while on a call. No big deal tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its weird because lte is based off of gsm. AT&T and tmobile, shouldn't have issues. I'm guessing its a CDMA thing.

I decided t give the 5s a try as well and replaced my SG3 with the GOLD 5s, couldn't be happier. Decided to keep my Blackberry Z10, but I'm rarely using it now that I have the iPhone 5s

Another convert here. Well kind of! My last devices have been Samsung Captivate, Galaxy S2, HTC One X, Nexus 7 and Nexus 7 2013. I also have an ipod (won in a raffle at work, gave it to my son) and an ipad 4 (wife's gift, couch device). I am no stranger to ios but I am a self proclaimed Android fan boy and a former Apple basher. This is my first iphone (5S grey). To sum it up: I AM FREAKING LOVING THIS LITTLE THING. Actually its funny, but my Nexus 7 had actually made me go for the iphone 5S. I was debating between a LG G2 or Note 3 as a phone but I am also loving my Nexus 7 and the differences in size between it and the flagship Android phones left me with a feeling of not gaining much. So I decided to sign up for a one year contract for an iphone. These are my observations:

First what I DONT LIKE:
1. iTunes: I just dont get it, this is the number one thing I miss from Android (drag and drop of files). Trying to copy and organize my videos and music in itunes leaves me exhausted.
2. No back button. But I am getting used to the lack of it.
3. The ability to share almost anything to any app.
4. Home button is noisy and feels cheap compared to 4S buttons or ipad buttons.
5. I wish it was bigger, BUT NOT TOO MUCH. I hope the iphone 6 is 4.3 or 4.5 in tops. I dont want it to become an android monster.

Now WHAT I LIKE:
1. The software design has something about it, it looks and feels superior to Android although Google has come a long way with Android 4.4 nope, iphone still is way more elegant, something about the fonts and colors...
2. High quality materials
3. Ecosystem is amazing
4. It just connects faster than Android. At least for Tune In radio and where streaming is needed it seems to always maintain a connection better than my old phones.
5. Camera is crazy awesome.

I am very happy about my decision, the iphone 5S and Nexus 7 is a killer combo for those who want to enjoy both ecosystems. I would say the same in reverse with an HTC One and ipad mini retina combo.

Yep after a few weeks of having the 5s. I'm loving it. The touch ID works much better than I expected. The operating system is awesome! Cant wait to try some jailbreak tweaks out once mobile substrate is updated for a7 devices.

If Apple makes a bigger phone next go round I want be switching back to android anymore.

Also I just love the fact apple added so many old jailbreak tweaks. I understand them not wanting to make iPhones open source but its obvious that the devs who make jailbreak tweaks do an awesome job.

Last edited: