What's new

Getting iPhone texts to my Mac

HowardBrazee

Reaction score
I have a friend who texts me from his iPhone. I'm sitting at my Mac, with its Messages app opened, and later on notice the message on my iPhone. Then I reply from my Mac, which allows me to use a real keyboard.

I guess he probably sends it to my phone number, as we have had conversations on my Mac.

Is there a way to get those messages show up on my Mac (too?)

Use Continuity to receive every message on your Mac as well.

Here's more information:
With Continuity, all the SMS and MMS text messages you send and receive on your iPhone also appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. Even if the person you’re communicating with doesn’t have an iPhone. And regardless of what phone they have, you can reply from whichever device is closest to you, including your iPad or Mac. You can also initiate a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, or Calendar.
mac_receive_sms.png

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch
  • Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.
(Apple Support)

Hope that helps.

I have my iPhone & Mac on the same Apple ID (my iPad is using my wife's, bigger iCloud, but I wanted Find My Friends to work). OSX 10.10.3, IOS 8.3.
I had both addresses visible, but only the phone number was checked. Oops, that is the e-mail address I use - I'll add my iCloud address. Hmm, when I added the iCloud address, it asked for that password, then repeatedly asked for my regular e-mail's Apple ID password until I gave up and cancelled. I don't seem to be able to check the iCloud address. I also can't remove that e-mail address. I can check & uncheck that one, but can't check the iCloud address.
I can't find "Messages > Text Message Forwarding".

I did find a setting on my Mac's address where I could add my regular e-mail address to my Messages, and added it - but I can't enable it until I get the e-mail, which doesn't seem to be reaching me.

I have my iPhone & Mac on the same Apple ID (my iPad is using my wife's, bigger iCloud, but I wanted Find My Friends to work). OSX 10.10.3, IOS 8.3.
I had both addresses visible, but only the phone number was checked. Oops, that is the e-mail address I use - I'll add my iCloud address. Hmm, when I added the iCloud address, it asked for that password, then repeatedly asked for my regular e-mail's Apple ID password until I gave up and cancelled. I don't seem to be able to check the iCloud address. I also can't remove that e-mail address. I can check & uncheck that one, but can't check the iCloud address.
I can't find "Messages > Text Message Forwarding".

I did find a setting on my Mac's address where I could add my regular e-mail address to my Messages, and added it - but I can't enable it until I get the e-mail, which doesn't seem to be reaching me.

You won't find Text Forwarding on your iPhone until you use the same ID on the other device(s) as well.

Here's more information:
iOS and OS X Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage - Apple Support

Are you able to sign out of the Apple ID on your Mac, and sign in again, using the iCloud ID?
I tried logging out of my iCloud in my systems preferences, and after going from app to app saying whether to keep or delete data on my Mac, it finally told me it couldn't log me off. So I checked all of the individual stuff on, and had to go to my phone and enter my password there to get them on. The password worked on my phone.

When I open Messages on my Mac, then go to preferences/accounts, I can be reached for messages at 3 e-mails. Those three are the same e-mail with @icloud.com, @me.com, & @mac.com. I tried to add my "real" e-mail address, which is also the e-mail address that iTunes knows. It's one using my brother's domain. It is still waiting to verify. (I re-send the verification request, but it never arrives to me). I suspect that shouldn't be needed.

I still can't find "Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to".

The email address (Apple ID or iCloud ID) you use has to be the same for Messages on the iPhone and your Mac. You won't find Text Message Forwarding on the iPhone until it's activated (check marked) for the Mac as well.

You already receive messages on the iPhone, so the email address there should be verifed.

For the address you're trying to set up:
Try the following to find/get the verification email:
If you didn t receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

Hope that helps.