What's new

Fring Update for iPhone Allows Video Calling Over 3G

wuyanks

Super Moderator
Reaction score
wbcmfa.jpg

We all are familiar with the most glaring limitations of FaceTime for the iPhone 4: video calling is disabled over 3G, and calling only works between iPhone 4 users. Well, thanks to the latest Fring update, you can now make video calls over 3G, and you can video call to Android users! Although the interface may not be as clean-cut as Facetime, Fring really has set the standard in cross-platform video calling. Make sure you hit up your friends on their HTC Evo 4Gs, and let them know that iOS Does as well!

Fring for the iOS is free, and can also be used as a fully-functioning VoIP client. Like Skype, Fring-to-Fring calls are free, but you will need to sign up with a SIP Provider to make calls to those not on Fring.

Engadget put the newly-updated Fring through the paces on the iPhone 4, and have found it to work well over 3G. So, Apple, why is this feature disabled in Facetime again? We also wonder why Apple, a company known to reject apps that circumvent its "standards," approved the Fring update in the first place. And finally, will they pull the updated Fring once this news reaches them?

If you have tried the updated Fring, let us know what you think.

Source: Engadget

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Apple is allowing the use of the front facing camera and video calling on wifi/3G . I'm waiting for skype :)

I'm glad to see Apple is allowing the use of the front facing camera and video calling on wifi/3G . I'm waiting for skype :)

i'm thinking Apple accidentally overlooked the new features. i guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Does this mean we can use it now if we get Fring and does it cost anything???

Fringe is all in one so it has Skype and msn I used to have it on my nokia

wbcmfa.jpg

We all are familiar with the most glaring limitations of FaceTime for the iPhone 4: video calling is disabled over 3G, and calling only works between iPhone 4 users. Well, thanks to the latest Fring update, you can now make video calls over 3G, and you can video call to Android users! Although the interface may not be as clean-cut as Facetime, Fring really has set the standard in cross-platform video calling. Make sure you hit up your friends on their HTC Evo 4Gs, and let them know that iOS Does as well!

Fring for the iOS is free, and can also be used as a fully-functioning VoIP client. Like Skype, Fring-to-Fring calls are free, but you will need to sign up with a SIP Provider to make calls to those not on Fring.

Engadget put the newly-updated Fring through the paces on the iPhone 4, and have found it to work well over 3G. So, Apple, why is this feature disabled in Facetime again? We also wonder why Apple, a company known to reject apps that circumvent its "standards," approved the Fring update in the first place. And finally, will they pull the updated Fring once this news reaches them?

If you have tried the updated Fring, let us know what you think.

Source: Engadget
I downloaded Fring on my Iphone 4 and the list of add ons does not include Skype. Any insight??

It crashed fring's servers so they took the skype option off for now. You can still do fring to fring FaceTime calls!

on the n97 fring sucked because the camera sucked even the back one (not that it let you use the back) but imagine using it on 3g will the carriers networks be able to handle it?