What's new

Found IPhone Advice Needed

Smokie365

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the above topic. About 2 months ago I was walking the dog and found what I think is an iphone 7 or 8. The screen was smashed but the phone was still on, I could tell by the back light. I had put adds on my local area Facebook group and in our local shop but never heard anything back. The phone looks like it would work if the screen was replaced and I'm wondering if it is possible? If I was to buy a new screen and got the phone to work It would be unusable for me? Am I right? It' probably got a password and fingerprint lock on it.

Is there anything I can do or should I just chuck it in the bin? It's a shame because it looks perfect except for the damaged screen.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the above topic. About 2 months ago I was walking the dog and found what I think is an iphone 7 or 8. The screen was smashed but the phone was still on, I could tell by the back light. I had put adds on my local area Facebook group and in our local shop but never heard anything back. The phone looks like it would work if the screen was replaced and I'm wondering if it is possible? If I was to buy a new screen and got the phone to work It would be unusable for me? Am I right? It' probably got a password and fingerprint lock on it.

Is there anything I can do or should I just chuck it in the bin? It's a shame because it looks perfect except for the damaged screen.

Thanks in Advance.

You should have handed it in to the Police or other relevant authority according to where you are.

Worries me that it was found this way. I wonder if someone was attacked and dropped it. I would bring it to Apple. They can identify the owner, and if s/he no longer wants it, you can probably pay to repair it and keep it.

I live in Ireland so we don't actually have an apple store, as for bringing it to the police station, this is something I did but after a week I went back down as it had not been collected and agreed that I would continue to advertise that I had found it. I don' think anything sinister had happened I'm guessing it just dropped out of a joggers pocket or something like that. I' an android man myself but if I could do something with it I would give it to one of my children. No point in spending money on it to be left with a paperweight.

Ps: there is no serial number on the back of the phone. I thought Apple used to do this?
It might of helped finding the owner.

Yes, there are identification numbers. Bell Apple. I am sure they can advise you. Good luck.

Doesn't seem to be anything on the back of the phone.
Thanks

You will also find the serial number in Settings - General - About, if it’s possible to access it.

If it’s connected to an iCloud ID, it’s possible that you won’t be able to use it at all.

I found the serial number printed on the SIM tray. It's actually an iPhone 8. Such a shame that it' just a paper weight.

The serial number of the iPhone 7 and 8 is on the Sim Tray, as well as in Settings.

That is correct, J.A. I forgot about that! As for it also being on the SIM tray, well, learn something new here everyday. :)

You have the serial number so give Apple a ring so they can check who the owner is.
IPhone 8 isn't a cheap phone and the owner will most likely want it back.

I live in Ireland so we don't actually have an apple store, as for bringing it to the police station, this is something I did but after a week I went back down as it had not been collected and agreed that I would continue to advertise that I had found it. I don' think anything sinister had happened I'm guessing it just dropped out of a joggers pocket or something like that. I' an android man myself but if I could do something with it I would give it to one of my children. No point in spending money on it to be left with a paperweight.

Ps: there is no serial number on the back of the phone. I thought Apple used to do this?
It might of helped finding the owner.
There is an Apple Store at 1 Victoria Square in Belfast