What's new

First iPhone

iPhone4S3x

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just switched from a Droid X to iPhone4S a couple days ago and so far Im having mixed thoughts. This is such a pretty piece of technology but it seems like it is limited by a lot compared to android. The iPhone feels nicer, looks better and so far the battery seems better but I miss things like seeing my facebook contacts in my phonebook along with everyones pic next to their name. I dont even see a way to change the color of text chat with the iPhone so far. Also I had to break out my old TomTom again because the iPhone doenst seem to come loaded with a decent navigation like droid. I am torn. I love apple and my macbook and how easy it is to use itunes (was never was able to figure out how to put music on droid) but I miss all the small things droid had.

the more i understand this phone the more im really liking it but is it just me or is GPS worthless?

the more i understand this phone the more im really liking it but is it just me or is GPS worthless?

Yeah man...If I were to name a few things Apple did wrong it would definitely be the GPS.

However there is a tweak from Cydia called Aloud that will allow the GPS to talk to you and tell you the directions and when to turn and what not.lol

thx for the sugestion zig but i have only had the phone less than a week, i dont think i wanna jailbreak just yet. besides its not the voice directions im looking for (i usually mute that anyway). what i mean is when i try to use the gps a very dull boring map comes up and i can see a rout but the picture doesnt follow the dot along the rout so it is point less unless i keep manually moving it or zoom out far. also it doesnt have something telling you that a turn or exit is coming up in the corner keeping the driver guessing. i really cant understand how apple failed at such an important feature on such a high tech phone. i really cant bring myself to buy the tomtom app when i have the actual gps already but other than that im loving the phone.

iPhone4S3x said:
thx for the sugestion zig but i have only had the phone less than a week, i dont think i wanna jailbreak just yet. besides its not the voice directions im looking for (i usually mute that anyway). what i mean is when i try to use the gps a very dull boring map comes up and i can see a rout but the picture doesnt follow the dot along the rout so it is point less unless i keep manually moving it or zoom out far. also it doesnt have something telling you that a turn or exit is coming up in the corner keeping the driver guessing. i really cant understand how apple failed at such an important feature on such a high tech phone. i really cant bring myself to buy the tomtom app when i have the actual gps already but other than that im loving the phone.

The GPS has everything you said it didn't by the way...it just sucks because you have to zoom out and manually follow the dot.

It definitely tells me when a turn/merge/ or exit is coming up.

Ahh yes there are other apps. I think ill try waze for a bit and possibly get MotionX if the free app doesnt cut it. thanks guys.

Here are two links http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-apps-20/gps-app-one-23689/

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-apps-20/need-gps-app-recomendation-18594/

to threads discussing the GPS/apps.

Like you, I had an Android phone. The GPS was excellent. I purchased MotionX and a years service for $9.99 So far, I have not complaints.

I hope this is helpful.

MIke