What's new

First Impressions

Seminolejon78

Reaction score
I have had an iPhone 5 for about a week now, upgrading from an HTC Rezound with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). I had two other Android smartphones before that. My first impressions after upgrading:
  1. Battery life has been better than expected. My wife seems to have to charge her iPhone 4s several times per day but the battery on my iPhone 5 lasts all day.
  2. It was an easy adjustment to the iOS UI and iOS is much smoother than ICS.
  3. For apps that have both iOS and Android versions, the iOS version works and looks better.
  4. I like the iPhone's physical mute button better than having to dig through menus to silence the phone as required in Android.
  5. The Bluetooth connection to my truck's hands free system works better on the iPhone than it did on the Rezound.
  6. I'm not missing all the Android widgets and customization options like I thought I would.
  7. Managing contacts and syncing with my GMail contacts is proving to be a challenge. If there is a way to do a mass merge of duplicate contacts in iOS, I would love to learn how to do it.
Overall, I am very pleased thus far with the iPhone 5.

Yes to all that, but if the iPhone only had a larger screen size -- as compared to the rest of the "average" screen sizes on major devices out there. Just my 2 cents....

True that. Iphone screen size is not suitable for a smartphone which is basically a portable computer.

They need to make the screen bogger or get out of the game

Simple

I think, (my opinion only), that a bigger screen really puts you just south of tablet territory and out of the drop it in your pocket and one hand convenience that a phone should have. I can have devices that have the larger screen for using as something other than a phone, I can use my phone to do everything and still drop it in my pocket at the end of surfing or calling. My .02¢

I didnt mean as big as a tablet which doesnt fit in your pocket

I was referring to Galaxy size which is just perfect in my arrogant opinion

Ha Ha! ;) I see. So my sister won't be able to hold the new S4 in one hand, and with no purse she won't be able to carry it - she has pretty small pockets and she is average height for women. I would use the bigger screen real estate, but mostly for reading, Internet (in all it's accessible forms), navigation and the like, but it wouldn't be the first thing I would want to pull out for pictures or video (or making a call). It definitely has its place in gadget world, but for reading and Internet use the screen isn't large enough for a lot of continuous use so would rather have a full sized or mini sized tablet/pad for that.

It's all user preference IMO. I'm about to get a note 2 or S4. My pockets are huge and both phones fit. I have huge hands, so the S4 and note 2 fits in one hand (some operations aren't so easy with one hand) but I want the extra screen real estate.

I still have respect for the iPhone though. Always will.

From what I see in shopping malls etc, it doesn't matter how big or small people's pockets are, because they always have their phones in their hands. Do people use GPS to go shopping now or something? Or perhaps they use the camera to see where they are going?

From what I see in shopping malls etc, it doesn't matter how big or small people's pockets are, because they always have their phones in their hands. Do people use GPS to go shopping now or something? Or perhaps they use the camera to see where they are going?

There's actually apps for texting and walking. Lmao.
I've seen a lot of people wipe out, or almost walk into traffic while they were playing on their phones.

There's actually apps for texting and walking. Lmao.
I've seen a lot of people wipe out, or almost walk into traffic while they were playing on their phones.

You just caught the Siri Gods' attention

Check out this guy, who might have wished he was watching where he was going.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i think the iphone 5's screen size is just nice,i went from a 4s so to me it's big enough,i agree with everything you said seminolejon and pleased to hear you are enjoying it.

personally i think the iphone 5's screen size is just nice,i went from a 4s so to me it's big enough,i agree with everything you said seminolejon and pleased to hear you are enjoying it.

Thanks. Going from the 4.3" screen of the Rezound to the 4.0" screen of the iPhone 5 has not been an issue for me, either.