What's new

Find iPhone app

Struong57

Reaction score
I just installed the Find iPhone app last night and was prompted to activate "location" in that app's settings. Does anyone know if this will drain my battery faster because it's constantly running the gps signal on my phone, or does it not affect the battery life?

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 4 using iPF app

It will only search for satellites when you locate your phone online. Most apps that use the location, like maps, will only use GPS when the program is running. You can tell if the GPS is active by the arrow indicator in the upper right corner of the screen.

So you guys are saying that keeping the gps on will not add extra drainage to my phone's battery? The only time gps actually gets used is when an app attempts to find your location?

I thought it was like Bluetooth, where it's constantly looking for a Bluetooth device to connect to.

So you guys are saying that keeping the gps on will not add extra drainage to my phone's battery? The only time gps actually gets used is when an app attempts to find your location?

I thought it was like Bluetooth, where it's constantly looking for a Bluetooth device to connect to.

There's really no way to permanently disable it, as you can on the Android phones. The apps will only search for your location when you open them, or request them to. I've never seen the location icon pop up randomly.

Edit: Well, you can turn off Location Services for all apps, by going to Settings > General > Location Services. You can manually set it on or off for separate apps. You can also see which apps used GPS in the last 24 hours indicated by the arrow icon.

Last edited: