What's new

Faulty 3GS - Should I get it repaired?

Rusket

Reaction score
I have a 3gs that I have owned for about 3 years now, but for the past year or so it has been packed away not being used. I wanna start using it again as it's 32gb and I don't fancy forking out for a new 4 or 5.

The problem is that there are quite a few things wrong with it, for one it does not start up, it simply displays the charging symbol and then the apple symbol whilst its charging and never turns on (I'm guessing this is an issue with the battery). Also I think both the display and touch screen are broken. The silent button is broken, aswell as the headphone port.

Yes, there are a lot of things wrong with this phone but I checked online and there are businesses offering ful refurbishment for about £80-90. I would rather spend that and get my old 32gb working again than pay 150+ for a 4s. I always preferred the 3gs anyway, fits in your hand nicer.

Thanks for reading guys, all replies are appreciated. :)

I've deleted your duplicate post in the iPhone Help forum. Duplicate posts can cause confusion by fragmenting any resulting discussion on the issue as well as being against the rules.

Sorry for breaking the rules didn't know, just thought there would be more chance of someone replying. Anyone offer some advice?

Well ... I personally wouldn't recommend spending money on getting it fixed. I know you prefer the curved feel of the 3GS, and so do I, but it's important to remember that iPhone 3GS will not be supported by the iOS 7 update this Autumn, and according to a recent survey, around half of the app developers interviewed said that they were considering leaving iOS 6 out of their app updates. :(

I like the 3GS's hardware too, but I'll be buying a 4 or 4S as soon as I can afford it.

If you just want it for surfing the web, calls, texts, watching YouTube videos, some casual games, and using sites like Facebook, you should be fine, but expect the availability of apps to decline rapidly over the next few months.