What's new

Factory Unlocked or not.. and how to move forward?

HardTalk

Reaction score
Okay, so a few weeks ago I bought two iPhone 5’s while on vacation in Dubai. We moved to the middle east earlier this year from England and I was aware of certain phones not having facetime on them and all that, so anyway, went to a store and the guy said they were factory unlocked iphone 5’s. Paid the man, went home.

Yes I should have bought them from the official Apple store and all that but hear me out. This is where my doubts about one of the phone’s being “official factory unlocked” stem from.. The black one, mine, is probably factory unlocked as I can see the cellular data settings and everything. In the white one, my wife’s phone, I can’t see the cellular data settings, and so had to Google the alternative way of setting up the APN, etc. Did it through a website that does it for you, and voila! Data was working just fine for her as well. (btw just to add, her phone says LTE on/off mine says 3G on/off – we live in Bahrain and there’s no 4G for iPhone here anyway as the networks don’t support it).

My question here now is.. with iOS 7 coming out – will we (more importantly, SHE) be able to upgrade to iOS 7 without having any issues? And more importantly, if the cellular data settings are still blocked, will websites such as unlockit help me get APN settings on iOS7 – or is this affected by which version of iOS you’re using etc.

These are our first iPhones, and we’re loving them – we could well go and try to get her phone changed because a friend knows the store’s owner. But if there won’t be anything to worry about in the future, should we just chill?

Expert advice needed please. Thank you for your time.

iOS upgradability would be based on your hardware. As the 5 is supported for iOS 7, you can upgrade without a problem. Generally when it comes to upgrading through thresholds (from one iOS header to another I.e iOS 6 to iOS 7) you'd want a fresh restore to make sure that there aren't any hitches. But otherwise, a simple OTA update over a wifi network will suffice.

The 3G/4G capabilities does not affect whether you can upgrade or not, not does whether or not the device is unlocked or not as well if that's hat you're asking

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Thanks a lot willerz2.

So in other words, we are good to go, and nothing to worry about, right? :D

Yup. Upgrading iOS isn't reliant on anything but hardware. Software is never a part of it as upgrading/restoring wipes it and replaces it with a fresh copy of iOS

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Last question: after updating, cellular data settings still wont appear on her phone - so will I be able to get a website like unlockit to generate APN settings for her and send them while she's using the new OS?

Thanks for everything.