What's new

Unlocked 4S and U.S. T-Mobile's 3G Network

5er driver

Reaction score
I live in Germany and have a factory unlocked iPhone 4S that I bought new online from Apple here. I am moving to the U.S. in a couple of months and want to use the phone there. I've heard that iPhones are not compatible with T-Mobile's U.S. 3G service due to the phones not supporting the WCDMA 1700/2100 band, is this true? I think T-Mobile's U.S. pre-paid data plans (called Monthly 4G) are currently the cheapest and I wanted to go pre-paid with them.

Thanks.

Correct... the iPhone isn't compatible w/ T-Mobile's 3G. It will only work on their 2G/Edge data network. I'm not trying to press a different provider on you but, have you looked into Straight Talk?

Thanks Thomas for suggesting Straight Talk. No, I've only looked at AT&T and T-Mobile so far. I'm open to all sugestions, thanks again.
Are there any other U.S. carriers that don't support the iPhone's 3G bands that i should stay away from? I'm suprised that T-Mobile doesn't disclaim that fact on their plans site. I'm sure they do somewhere else, but not the pages where people go to shop and compare. :/

Not sure about other carriers to stay away from. Here's a link to an ongoing Straight Talk thread... sounds like it might be a good option for ya.