What's new

Factory unlock confirmation.

avian100

Reaction score
I have looks around the net using google etc. trying to find out if there is a way to see if your Iphone is factory unlocked without using a sim card from a differnet carrier. I'm guessing there isn't ? anybody know a way?

avian100 said:
I have looks around the net using google etc. trying to find out if there is a way to see if your Iphone is factory unlocked without using a sim card from a differnet carrier. I'm guessing there isn't ? anybody know a way?

Why would you not know if the phone is factory unlocked? Where did you get it?

There is no real way but to try another sim from another carrier.

Was the phone bought from a carrier?
If so its definately locked, unless it was unlocked after contract was over or paid out,
this also depends on the carrier as some unlock for free before contract is done.

So you never said what carrier or what country as it all depends and so forth.

Again to be simple about it, just go to another carrier and ask one of the reps their try a sim from
one of their phones they personally may have. If not then try a friends.

Zig: You're at it again. How does "Why would you not know if the phone is factory unlocked? Where did you get it?" in any way help the OP?

I thought the purpose of this forum was to help and offer advice not denigrate the OP.

It's a good question. Suppose you find a "good" deal and were told it was a Factory Unlocked phone. Wouldn't you like a nice simple way to verify that assertion?

jimt29 said:
Zig: You're at it again. How does "Why would you not know if the phone is factory unlocked? Where did you get it?" in any way help the OP?

I thought the purpose of this forum was to help and offer advice not denigrate the OP.

It's a good question. Suppose you find a "good" deal and were told it was a Factory Unlocked phone. Wouldn't you like a nice simple way to verify that assertion?

I'm not degenerating anyone. I just wanted to know. Plain and simple. A simple question.

Based on where he said he got may provide a more accurate answer. (since I don't exactly know just how to check and see if a phone is unlocked)

For example:

OP: "I bought it as the Apple Store."

Me: "Oh okay, it is most likely unlocked then."

No need to jump to conclusions.

There is absolutely no way you could tell if I was be taunt with such a vague question. Your just making assumptions....and you know the old saying about what assuming makes out of you.

"how would that help?"?

Simple...the more you know, the more likely you are to provide an answer. SIMPLE.

You automatically assumed I was accusing him of stealing it or something, when all I did was ask "simple question" to better provide and answer.

Sometimes you have to ask more questions to in order to gain more info, allowing you to provide a more accurate answer. Plain and simple.

Imaginary OP: "My phone is broke, how do if fix it."

Me: "Well how did you break it?"

You: well there you go again Zig, taunting the OP..how is asking questions that provide more information that could possibly lead to a very accurate answer help?"

See what I mean,...but since this was a different subject with "weary" variables...you automatically lean towards the negative ones. I really don't appreciate you judging me like that ya know.

Fortunately I think I'm quite reasonable,.and can see why would lean toward the negative variables with such a question...but should have waited for the outcome of my next response for you to say such a judgmental statement against me. Seriously.

XamDam said:
Np glad to assist.

I liked your post to make it 58.

Thanks XamDam. I generally do my posting on my phone via the IPF.Net iPhone app so I usually cannot tell how many likes I have on my posts.lol.

Thanks XamDam. I generally do my posting on my phone via the IPF.Net iPhone app so I usually cannot tell how many likes I have on my posts.lol.

Lol in post on my phone as well, but i just post on the entire site through safari. I no PC or laptop or internet or ipad or any tablet, just my phone and a 6gb plan :)

I wish the site had a mobile site option, it loads fast and all, but its a little qurkie on full site mode.

Edit: Opps IPF.net i looked it up
Duh it is a mobile option for this site.

Lot of sites though have a link to go to
Mobile optimization is all i was refering to before in this post.

Last edited:
OK I bought this Iphone from Craigslist it was a good deal and I was told it was factory unlocked (it was a good deal even if it wasn't) that's why I bought it now I want to verify before reselling it .I only have active at&t sim cards so I have no way to verify it. I like how this thread turned into how many likes does Zigg have? but can anybody answer my question.

OK I bought this Iphone from Craigslist it was a good deal and I was told it was factory unlocked (it was a good deal even if it wasn't) that's why I bought it now I want to verify before reselling it .I only have active at&t sim cards so I have no way to verify it. I like how this thread turned into how many likes does Zigg have? but can anybody answer my question.

Easiest way is to call AT&T and have the phone at the ready and ask them if the phone is unlocked. If it is, you have your answer. If it isn't, ask the rep if they would be so kind as to unlock if for you now. (p.s. - I'm not crazy about people hijacking a thread either.) I believe most folks that post here honestly want to help without letting their ego get in the way.

I know 2 ways to check it on the net
sim-unlock.net/iphone_chk/ free of charge
and
imei.info 1,99$ per check