What's new

Facetime Expert Advice Needed!

EWyatt

Reaction score
Is there some sort of "secret" configuration in getting Facetime to work all the time? My extended family has 4 iPhone4s, all with Facetime "on." There are times when we connect and all is fine; other times only video comes through, other times neither audio or video comes though on one phone. Other times it works perfectly -- there's no pattern.

Our Internet is high speed wi-fi and the iPhones are all in great working condition. Skype works, the cameras all work -- EVERYTHING works but Facetime intermittently.

Is there perhaps a "specific" way to call a person in Facetime? I go to the person's Contact number and hit the Facetime button. There are times when the other party doesn't even get the Facetime call, other times all is well.

Any ideas? Is this just a problem unique to me and our 4 iPhones? Thanks!!

EWyatt said:
Is there some sort of "secret" configuration in getting Facetime to work all the time? My extended family has 4 iPhone4s, all with Facetime "on." There are times when we connect and all is fine; other times only video comes through, other times neither audio or video comes though on one phone. Other times it works perfectly -- there's no pattern.

Our Internet is high speed wi-fi and the iPhones are all in great working condition. Skype works, the cameras all work -- EVERYTHING works but Facetime intermittently.

Is there perhaps a "specific" way to call a person in Facetime? I go to the person's Contact number and hit the Facetime button. There are times when the other party doesn't even get the Facetime call, other times all is well.

Any ideas? Is this just a problem unique to me and our 4 iPhones? Thanks!!

FaceTime only works while connected to your wifi. So if the caller is away from their wifi it will not work. However there is a way for FaceTime to work outside of wifi and that's my3g, face break or 3G unrestrictor You must be jailbroken to use this method. iOS 5 will take away the need to use wifi. As far as the method you stated above, the only other way to enable a FT time call is either the contact method or setting the FT caller under favorites.

Last edited:
Thanks, but as I wrote above, we all strictly use wi-fi when attempting Facetime.

The problem is the intermittent nature of Facetime in our experience. Perhaps this will never be solved for us -- so we'll use Skype instead!!

EWyatt said:
Thanks, but as I wrote above, we all strictly use wi-fi when attempting Facetime.

The problem is the intermittent nature of Facetime in our experience. Perhaps this will never be solved for us -- so we'll use Skype instead!!

Ok...

EWyatt said:
Just curious: do you use Facetime a lot with multiple users? If so, does it work perfectly every time/most of the time?

Yes. It works for me perfectly with no issues all of the time.

d.agarwal31 said:
Hello,

I want to develop a live video chatting application for iPhone, i tried to find in alots of web sites but not able to get much help on this.

Please can you help me in this,

# how can i start development for the Video chat application for iphone,
# Is there any API available (Paid or Free)
# Any document or guideline

It will be very helpful for me if yo can share any knowledge with me on this.

Thanks,
Deepak

Hi-jacking a thread is against forum rules. Please make your own thread in the appropriate forum.

Hello,

I require to create a live video chatting application for iPhone, i tried to find in alots of web-sites but unable to get much help on this.

Hello,

# how do i start development for the Video chat application for iphone,
# Is there any API obtainable (Paid or Free)

are you able to help me in this,

It will be helpful for me if yo can share any knowledge with me on this.

firstservicenevada said:
Hello,

I require to create a live video chatting application for iPhone, i tried to find in alots of web-sites but unable to get much help on this.

Hello,

# how do i start development for the Video chat application for iphone,
# Is there any API obtainable (Paid or Free)

are you able to help me in this,

It will be helpful for me if yo can share any knowledge with me on this.

Please don't hijack a thread.

I bought my Iphone 4 from UAE. Facetime is blocked in UAE and facetime button does not appear on my phone. Now I am in India still I don't see facetime button on my phone. I thought it is the carrier that blocks facetime. How can I get facetime on my phone ?

Did you checked on settings>FaceTime and make sure is on?

FaceTime sucks because it only works on wifi, but you can download tango and that works on 3G 4G.