What's new

FaceTime Anyone?

Jbj4iphone

Reaction score
Hey figured it cool be kinda cool to talk to someone using FaceTime in say Europe or any other country since it's free. If anyone wants to have a quick talk drop me a pm

It uses your wifi and the apple FaceTime servers. It's really cool

I wonder if we should create a section dedicated just to facetime requests so people can meet up?

Ya I knew you needed wifi, Just wasn't aware you could call anyone anywhere in the world for free. :D VERY nice.

I Agree with the post about us users creating a section just for facetime. I think it one of us should start it up asap.

Guys, I don't think that calling Europe is free. Unless I am mistaken you still need to initiate the voice call by dialing number, and then switch to face time. I would think you would still get charged for overseas long distance?? Am I wrong?

Guys, I don't think that calling Europe is free. Unless I am mistaken you still need to initiate the voice call by dialing number, and then switch to face time. I would think you would still get charged for overseas long distance?? Am I wrong?

Yes you will get charged a lot for overseas call. Even though the video itself is free because it goes through your wifi (internet connection), voice will use up your minutes and incur any long distance or overseas charges.

Yes you will get charged a lot for overseas call. Even though the video itself is free because it goes through your wifi (internet connection), voice will use up your minutes and incur any long distance or overseas charges.

I was watching Chris Pirillo, The other day and he said you can call someone with facetime alone, Not calling a number?

I was watching Chris Pirillo, The other day and he said you can call someone with facetime alone, Not calling a number?

It appears you have a choice on the phone. You can dial the number and there is an option to switch over to Facetime. But if you go into your contacts, instead of touching on mobile or home to dial their phone number, go to the bottom of the page and it appears to give you the choice to go directly to Facetime. I haven't tried this yet on purpose, but I accidentally tried to return a call in Facetime mode. The other parties phone did not ring though, as they have to have their Facetime set up and on as well.

You can in fact dial straight to FaceTime. Your other party has to be on a wifi network and have activated FaceTime. You do not have to call with voice first. Therefore you use zero minutes

with this face time system have huge opportunity to develop app’s just imagine online game using face time … that will be a giant market … pity iPad can’t work with that yet.

Johnny when you create the face-time section ?

Both Video and Voice go through the internet. The only charge is the first minute to make the connection. Facetime works very well in the experience I've had with it. If someone knows how to avoid the first minute that would be useful if calling from Europe to the US where the voice roaming charges are of course high.
Alex

It appears you have a choice on the phone. You can dial the number and there is an option to switch over to Facetime. But if you go into your contacts, instead of touching on mobile or home to dial their phone number, go to the bottom of the page and it appears to give you the choice to go directly to Facetime. I haven't tried this yet on purpose, but I accidentally tried to return a call in Facetime mode. The other parties phone did not ring though, as they have to have their Facetime set up and on as well.

You are indeed right. I verified this by adding a friend to my contact as a facetime user. I turned off my antenna (airplane mode) and called my friend via facetime using my wifi connection. I was able to talk to him via facetime. This has a lot of potential for not just making free international call but you can also see family and old friends face to face. You would still need to have their phone number entered and they have to have caller id turned on. Facetime uses the cell phone number to identify users.