What's new

Facebook messenger / turning off Facebook notifications

Okay, I performed the items in your second paragraph which begins "Also Safari..." I'm hesitant to clear anything until I figure out how to avoid having to re-enter passwords in my usual haunts....

As usual, thanks muchly. You're a great tutor... :)

You have to be missing something to not see the Alert options. Make sure you are in the Notification area of "Settings" and not in the Notification Center itself. Settings>Notification Center>FB>Notifcations Off. But, to cover all bases, turn Notifications "ON" and make sure your Alert setting is on "None". Then turn Notifications Off.

That may be where you are not seeing the Alerts. If you have the Notifications Off, you can't see the options

Okay, I see the problem. I'm not seeing the alert options because I wasn't in any specific app. And since I don't have an app for Facebook I naturally can't find it.

I picked another app and entered and Lo and behold, there were alert options. Summagun. I'm sorry I've been so dense up to this point but sometimes folks can't see the forest.. well, you know. Anyway, thanks very much for the help. Maybe I can keep this old ship afloat for a while longer, now. :)