What's new

Facebook messenger / turning off Facebook notifications

jmt356

Reaction score
Is Facebook Messenger an app that allows me to send messages to friends via the Facebook app or is it an app that displays Facebook messages on my home screen (the black screen that displays when I receive text messages, missed calls, weather updates, etc.)?
Is there any way to turn off Facebook messages from appearing on my home screen?

Facebook Messenger allows to send messages to your Facebook friends. That's not possible any more in the Facebook app.

To turn off notifications, go to Settings - Notifications - Facebook Messenger, and choose "None" in "Alert Style While Unlocked". This will prevent notifications appearing on your screen. If you don't use the Messenger app, and still get notifications, it could be the Facebook app itself that's sending them. In this case, do the same in Settings - Notifications - Facebook.

Last edited:
I would also turn off background refresh on Facebook as it's a big consumer of your battery....

Sent from my Inspiron 3520 using Tapatalk

I do not see Settings | Notifications in my OS (iOS 7.1.2). I see Settings | Notification Center. Is that the same thing?

What is the name of the black screen that displays where I receive text messages, missed calls, weather updates, etc.? It often shows up when my iPhone is locked or I can manually activate it with an upper left to lower right swipe. Is that the “home screen” or “notification center”? That is the place wher I want to discontinue the receipt of Facebook notifications.

How do I turn off Facebook background refresh?

To turn off background refresh for Facebook go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and slide the switch to the left to turn off background app refresh.

I do not see Settings | Notifications in my OS (iOS 7.1.2). I see Settings | Notification Center. Is that the same thing?

What is the name of the black screen that displays where I receive text messages, missed calls, weather updates, etc.? It often shows up when my iPhone is locked or I can manually activate it with an upper left to lower right swipe. Is that the “home screen” or “notification center”? That is the place wher I want to discontinue the receipt of Facebook notifications....
That's the Notification Center. Notifications in iOS 8 and Notification Center in iOS 7 mean the same feature. If you don't want to get notifications there, select "None" in "Alert Style While Unlocked" (Settings - Notification Center - Facebook/Facebook Messenger).

I continue to get horizontal banners on the top of my screen indicating activity on my Facebook account. I have already followed these steps:

For the Facebook App:
Go to Settings | Notification Center in iOS 7 (in iOS 8, this is “Notifications”) | Facebook | Alerts and turn off “Show in Notification Center” and “Show on Lock Screen.”
For the Messenger App:
Go to Settings | Notification Center (in iOS 8, this is “Notifications”) | Messenger | Alerts and turn off “Show in Notification Center” and “Show on Lock Screen.”

I also have background refresh turned off for both Facebook and Messenger.

Are there other steps I need to complete to prevent these updates?

In Settings - Notification Center - select the apps - Alert Style when unlocked select "None".

I have 7.1.2 on my iPhone 4 but no "apps alert style when unlocked". Might it be somewhere else?

It's in Settings - Notification Center - Facebook, or Settings - Notification Center - Facebook Messenger. There you'll find "Alert style when unlocked".
image.jpg

Okay, so since I'm not signed up with Facebook and will have nothing to do with any of the "social media", I presume that's why it isn't showing up in my notifications center.

I was hoping that this might be a way of turning off or blocking all of the terribly annoying flags, banners, and other bullcrap posted by the social nuisances that block a healthy one-third of my iPhone screen and can't be made to go away when I want to see what's under them. (Sigh) another of life's trials and tribulations....

Thanks very much, J.A., I appreciate your trying to help.. :)

Okay, so since I'm not signed up with Facebook and will have nothing to do with any of the "social media", I presume that's why it isn't showing up in my notifications center.

I was hoping that this might be a way of turning off or blocking all of the terribly annoying flags, banners, and other bullcrap posted by the social nuisances that block a healthy one-third of my iPhone screen and can't be made to go away when I want to see what's under them. (Sigh) another of life's trials and tribulations....

Thanks very much, J.A., I appreciate your trying to help.. :)
My pleasure. :)
You're looking for a setting to prevent ads in Safari?

Last edited:
If there's a way to do it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, yes. A lot of the ads have a small 'x' or a 'close' to click on and the ad will go away. Others won't leave no matter what one does - particularly the ones touting Facebook, Twitter, and the like.

Let's start with your settings and see if this helps:

In Settings - Safari regularly clear history and website data. That's a button in the settings. In iOS 7, it's Clear Cookies and History, I think.

Also Settings - Safari:
Enable Block Pop-ups, and in Block Cookies a little bit below, don't select "Always Allow", but one of the other choices. Also try to enable "Do Not Track", and "Fraudulent Website Warning".

I haven't yet figured out which one it is, but either clearing history or cookies or cache wipes out my password for sites I'm regularly logged into - such as iPhoneforums. It'll be a trian and error thing for me to figure out which one and I just went through it not long ago.

I'll have a look at the rest of your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks..... :)