What's new

Evasi0n7 (iOS 7) Jailbreak Discussion Thread

Most likely one of your jailbreak apps/tweaks is conflicting with it. My button works just fine to start and stop the video recording. That proves it's nothing in the 7.0.6 itself. Try turning your phone all the way off. Then hit the Power Button on top to start it. The moment you hit that button - hit the 'up' volume button and hold it all the way until the phone starts up. This will place you in Substrate Safe Mode with no jailbreak tweaks loaded. Immediately go into the Video app and start a video and then hit stop. I'm quite sure the video stop button will work this time. That will be proof that one of your tweaks is conflicting with the video recording app. Finding out which one - is tedious work. I can walk you through the tedious testing process. But first things first. Do the main test I've outlined above and tell me if the off button works while in safe mode.

To get out of safe mode - just restart phone.
I tried turning off all my tweaks one at a time to see if that helped and it did not. So I did the substrate safe mode thing and no luck there either. The problem persists.

I agree with Willerz that its a soft issue, but not sure what. I haven't mucked with anything in iFile except for the UI sounds files and all I did there was change the .caf files to .BAK. I've done better than a dozen hard resets. No change with the issue. It also doesn't matter if its from the lock screen or from the camera app while unlocked.

Other ideas?

Simple fix- another recorder app, but I'd still like to know how I hosed the built in.

Thanks,
Rik

Last edited:
I tried turning off all my tweaks one at a time to see if that helped and it did not. So I did the substrate safe mode thing and no luck there either. The problem persists.

I agree with Willerz that its a soft issue, but not sure what. I haven't mucked with anything in iFile except for the UI sounds files and all I did there was change the .caf files to .BAK. I've done better than a dozen hard resets. No change with the issue. It also doesn't matter if its from the lock screen or from the camera app while unlocked.

Other ideas?

Simple fix- another recorder app, but I'd still like to know how I hosed the built in.

Thanks,
Rik
7.1 hasn't dropped yet - full DFU restore? That will kill any potential soft issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been having issues with my 5S

When I received a phone call and hung up my phone would go into safe mode. Interestingly, it did not happen every time I received a call. I did not see a pattern to the problem. I even removed the theme (77) hoping that would resolve. Last evening, my wife and I went to the beach. I received a txt and I was booted into safe mode. I figured it was time to restore. I made a backup, downloaded the latest ipsw file and Evasi0n.

I verified that I had the latest version of iTunes. Went into DFU and started. When I reached the extract I received Error 17 (I had this a few weeks ago as soon as I started)

I could not get iTunes to recognize my phone. I updated iTunes on my wife's Mac Air and was able to restore! I connected to my MBP and am restoring the apps as I type.

At this point, I'm going to stay stock. The ability to make and receive calls is my top priority!

7.1 has officially been released and iOS 7.0.6 has stopped signing. Regardless of whether you have APTickets for the iPhone 4S and above, or the iPad 2 and above, you cannot downgrade back to any version of iOS 6 or iOS 7 to jailbreak. iOS 7.1 is not jailbreakable. The next jailbreak will most likely stem from iOS 8.

7.1 has officially been released and iOS 7.0.6 has stopped signing. Regardless of whether you have APTickets for the iPhone 4S and above, or the iPad 2 and above, you cannot downgrade back to any version of iOS 6 or iOS 7 to jailbreak. iOS 7.1 is not jailbreakable. The next jailbreak will most likely stem from iOS 8.

This is a very noob question. I probably have it right, but I just want to reconfirm before I proceed

I am getting an iPhone 5s. It has been purchased but not yet delivered to me. It has iOS 7.0.4 on it. I have downloaded the 7.0.6 ipsw and Evasion 1.7 already.

1) I cannot use the downloaded ipsw to upgrade to 7.0.6 (or any other 7.0.x version) and then jailbreak. Is this correct?
2) Can I use the evasion 1.7 to jailbreak the iPhone 5s which already has iOS 7.0.4?

Though this is an iPhone forum, I presume the same conditions (1 & 2) are applicable for the iPad Air as well.

thanks and sorry again if this question has been addressed before. I just wanted to be 100% sure before I do anything.

It doesn't matter if you have already downloaded the iOS 7.0.6 IPSW file already, it can no longer be used to install iOS 7.0.6 onto your iPhone as part of the process is a verification with the Apple servers. Since iOS 7.0.6 is no longer being signed the process won't work.

Yes, you can use Evasi0n 1.7 to jailbreak your 5 S. The issue will be should you need to restore (return to stock) you will be forced to install iOS 7.1 which is not jail breakable.

This is a very noob question. I probably have it right, but I just want to reconfirm before I proceed

I am getting an iPhone 5s. It has been purchased but not yet delivered to me. It has iOS 7.0.4 on it. I have downloaded the 7.0.6 ipsw and Evasion 1.7 already.

1) I cannot use the downloaded ipsw to upgrade to 7.0.6 (or any other 7.0.x version) and then jailbreak. Is this correct?
2) Can I use the evasion 1.7 to jailbreak the iPhone 5s which already has iOS 7.0.4?

Though this is an iPhone forum, I presume the same conditions (1 & 2) are applicable for the iPad Air as well.

thanks and sorry again if this question has been addressed before. I just wanted to be 100% sure before I do anything.

Jailbreaking by default does not have any reliance on what's currently being signed and what's not being signed. The only dependency that Evasi0n7 has is that your device not be OTA updated, and that it's running on iOS 7.0 through 7.0.6. Even if your iOS is currently not being signed, you can still jailbreak.

And no, you cannot use an older IPSW. You can openly download these IPSWs from anywhere. Apple has them archived and openly downloadable. Whether or not you can use them is a completely different story.

Yes they also apply for the iPad as well. There's no true differentiation between devices, the differentiation is from the hardware inside the device, which I guess you can still argue as differentiating devices.

Willerz. Correct me if I am wrong but you should be able to "upgrade" 7.0.4 to basically 7.0.6 through cydia right. At least concerning the ssl changes. I know it isn't a true update but it would get the security hole fixed.

Willerz. Correct me if I am wrong but you should be able to "upgrade" 7.0.4 to basically 7.0.6 through cydia right. At least concerning the ssl changes. I know it isn't a true update but it would get the security hole fixed.

While "upgrade" really isn't the right word here (you aren't actually moving to iOS 7.0.6), yes, you can install the security fix "SSLPatch." This will secure the coding vulnerabilities.

Best that can be done since you can't go to iOS 7.0.6 any longer. Just know that this patch is not in effect while in Safe Mode (or no mobile substrate mode). So, careful with browsing and the like while in Safe Mode.

Marilyn

That is what I meant. I know it doesn't actually update but you could fix the important security issue. Didn't know it would still be there in safe mode though.

Ok, so I've been trying to do this several times without success.
32gb iPhone 4s; 7.0.6

Currently using version 1.0.7, I get through 99% of the process, the two reboots, then the program exits by itself, and I do not see any messages stating the process was completed. The Evasion icon is on my iPhone, however when opened a blank screen appears. There's also no icon for Cydia.

I have jailbroken other devices in the past, so I'm familiar with the process, I've just never used this method before.

Ok, so I've been trying to do this several times without success.
32gb iPhone 4s; 7.0.6

Currently using version 1.0.7, I get through 99% of the process, the two reboots, then the program exits by itself, and I do not see any messages stating the process was completed. The Evasion icon is on my iPhone, however when opened a blank screen appears. There's also no icon for Cydia.

I have jailbroken other devices in the past, so I'm familiar with the process, I've just never used this method before.

When you put iOS 7.0.6 on the 4S, did you do it via iTunes or did you use the over-the-air (OTA) method via your Settings app?

If the latter - I'm afraid that the jail break isn't going to work (given your description of what does/doesn't happen). Some people are lucky in that it works for them after an OTA upgrade. But, it's always been an issue with the evasi0n 7 jail break tool.

Marilyn