What's new

Evasi0n7 (iOS 7) Jailbreak Discussion Thread

When you say OTA update from iOS6 to iOS7, does that include 6.X.X and 7.0.X? I upgraded from iOS 6.1.3 to iOS 7.0.0 on my Touch 5th using iTunes with my cable. But I've upgraded to .1 .2 .3 .4 using OTA in app.settings. Do those things still apply to me? Do I have to do a FULL wipe and restore?

iOS 6.X to iOS 7.X of any kind via OTA will result in an issue. iOS 7.0.X to iOS 7.0.X OTA that is false for the first statement will not have issues.

If you updated from iOS 6.X to iOS 7.0.X then 7.0.Y all via OTA, you will have to backup and restore before using Evasi0n7

Note to Air, Mini w/ RD and 5S users, NOTHING at the moment works for your device aside from the bare basics such as Cydia and OpenSSH. MobileSubstrate does not work on any device until Saurik uploads the new build

My 5s went smooth. The installer got hung the first time but after restarting the process it went along fine.

Saurik is saying that this jailbreak installs a Chinese app store that deals in cracked apps.

China is one of the largest sources of malware for mobile devices and users are constantly warned to only install apps from trusted sources. It now seems that the evasi0n developers were offered a large sum of money in exchange for including a Chinese app store in the jailbreak. The problem is that the evasi0n team has no control over the content of this Chinese app store. It's rather trivial to reverse engineer an app, add malware, and release the app as if it were the original app. Any app from a third-party store should be avoided for that reason. It appears that the cracked apps will be removed from the Chinese apps store. But, what about the rest of the content? How many other apps have malware included in them? One has to wonder why a third-party app store would offer such a large amount of money. This should have raised numerous red flags in the minds of the evasi0n developers.

I won't be installing this jailbreak.. and probably won't ever trust them again.

Only if you're on a Chinese locale. After ripping apart the OS and digging through the filesystem, there's nothing associated with the piracy app anywhere. Unless you're on a Chinese locale or are using a Chinese medium to jailbreak, there are no associations.

The intentions of the app was not for piracy, but as a Cydia alternative for Chinese speakers. From Tweets, the original purpose was solely just that, and not for piracy.

This is true, and I understand totally. My point is that the evasi0n team should never have accepted money in exchange for content that they cannot control. They could have very well been a party to millions of future botnet devices. If they did it this time, what will they be willing to sell themselves out for next time. I feel they've severely damaged their reputation.

I truly appreciate all the hard work evasi0n has done and getting this jailbreak out; I do kind of wish that Saurik had been in the loop though and that Cydia was good to go from the start. I guess they just wanted to give everyone an early Christmas present :) Thank you evasi0n!!!

This is true, and I understand totally. My point is that the evasi0n team should never have accepted money in exchange for content that they cannot control. They could have very well been a party to millions of future botnet devices. If they did it this time, what will they be willing to sell themselves out for next time. I feel they've severely damaged their reputation.

The way I see it is China is one of the largest piracy abusers out there so should they get malware while using cracked apps I consider it karma :) I do understand your point though.

Interesting. Didn't realize jailbreaking was so important until ios7 but makes sense. Since apple has included so many jailbreak tweaks in ios7.

There are still tweaks that users would like to carry over. To name a few, BiteSMS or a messenger tweak that allows for quick reply/compose on the lock screen; Activator and a plethora of gestures that's not available on the stock OS; F.lux, dims the light to a nice warm color, great for the night; iFile for the root management; Winterboard for theme-ing outside of what you can do with several AppStore apps within limits; and the list goes on.

I agree with everything you're saying. I can't own a apple device without it being jailbroken. Fact is most of the people don't know that they just think Apple came up with something new.

All that is besides the point I'm just happy a jailbreak has been released!!!

would jailbreaking let me go back to ios 6 ?

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with downgrading. If you're on an iPhone 4, you can downgrade with SHSH blobs that have valid APTickets by creating a custom IPSW to restore using iTunes 11.0.5 or below. For the iPhone 4S/iPad2 and above, and iPod Touch 5th Gen, there are no ways whatsoever to restore back to iOS 6.

im stuck at the apple logo after it said DONE... My 5c will not hard reset it just comes back up to the apple logo!! What should I do?? and the computer is not recognizing my phone!!

Last edited: