What's new

easiest way to silence entire iphone

hoggle

Reaction score
without having to turn it off?

i thought my volume was down but then i opened a game and it started blasting

thanks!

i just use the mute button the side.

you mean press the volume all the way down?

i did this and i swear it did not work with my game

There are TWO sound settings in iOS. One for the Ringer, Alarms and Alerts. The other is for Music, Videos and Applications.

If you are not in an app that is actively playing sound, iOS always defaults to changing the Ringer.

The best way to turn off sounds for applications is the double click the home button, swipe the bottom of the screen from left to right twice and slide the volume control there to the far left.

Also Poisonivy solution is also very useful since it makes sure an app can't override the volume setting.

you mean press the volume all the way down?

i did this and i swear it did not work with my game
on the side of your phone just above the volume buttons there is the mute button,just slide that so the orange line shows,this will mute the volume.

holy crap i had no clue that volume button was there

thank you!

on the side of your phone just above the volume buttons there is the mute button,just slide that so the orange line shows,this will mute the volume.

i didnt realize this either!

very informative thread

On the first iPhone the mute button on the side silenced the whole phone. This is the only sensible use of it in my opinion. With subsequent software or hardware that changed. You could have the mute button on, open a game and the sound would come blasting. I'm guessing that Apple got complaints from people who couldn't understand why there was no sound because they didn't know the mute button was down.

I didn't know about 'slide twice' but I did know you have to actively have an app open that uses sound and then turn it down.

I used to write Feedback but haven't in awhile. If only there were an option setting that gave you control over what the mute button mutes.

Poisonivy said:

I was under the impression that the mute switch was for the ringer only. Sounds in movies, music and games still play regardless of the mute button setting on my iPhone 4S.

I was under the impression that the mute switch was for the ringer only. Sounds in movies, music and games still play regardless of the mute button setting on my iPhone 4S.

It actually depends on when you engage it believe it or not.

Load a game that you know has sound and start playing it. Flip the mute switch. Sound is cut instantly. But if you adjust the sound AFTER the mute switch is engaged, then yes it only mutes the ringer.

And this is a REAL PAIN on the iPad.

Skull One said:
But if you adjust the sound AFTER the mute switch is engaged, then yes it only mutes the ringer.

It is my opinion that this practice goes against the idea of a "mute" switch.

It is my opinion that this practice goes against the idea of a "mute" switch.

Now, now. Don't use logic in this conversation. That would defeat the whole point of the internet existing ;) BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

What really kills me is, if you have Do Not Disturb turned on and the screen is on, sound works....

OR

If you have DND on and you plug the phone in while the screen is off it vibrates really loud.

Seriously.... Who thought this thru?

I just tried the following:
Unmute
Open the music app
Start a song playing
Notice music playing in phone speaker
Engage the mute button
Music continues playing from iPhone speaker

My iPhone 4S may be defective but the mute button has never actually served to "mute" music. I haven't tried it on games yet. This was the basis for my assumption that it mutes the ringer only.

Last edited:
I just tried the following:
Unmute
Open the music app
Start a song playing
Notice music playing in phone speaker
Engage the mute button
Music continues playing from iPhone speaker

My iPhone 4S may be defective but the mute button has never actually served to "mute" music. I haven't tried it on games yet. This was the basis for my assumption that it mutes the ringer only.

Ok, I don't play music but I do play games. That means the system is even wonkier than either of us knew. Sheesh I thought it was bad before this conversation started.