What's new

dropped my iphone 4 in water

rando408

Reaction score
Hey!

I just chose this title to make it easier for people to find this thread, I actually had the Iphone 4 in my swimming trunk's pocket when I was in the water.

Took me about 15 minutes to realise that i had the phone in my pocket so i went up fast and put it on a towel. 2 hours later when i finally came home i searched on google and found out that i could put the phone in sealed plastic bag with uncooked rise.

The phone was dead when I came up from the water.

Is there anything else i can do and what about warranty?
I'll have to check later what kinds on insurances we have..

so i went up fast and put it on a towel.

I love this part of your story, after having the phone in the water for 15mn.
Well it's a sad story though and I wish I could help, but I can't and maybe insurance will. Good luck to you.

If it's totally dead, then I think you should buy a brand new iPhone. Warranties are only for defective units and not for units that took a bath in water but had no defects at all.

Ok thanks for the help. Ill be back and update you about my progress

I was listening to the Kim Komando radio show last weekend and someone else called in about this. She also suggested that you remove the battery... I'm not sure how easy that is to do on an iPhone. But leave it in the rice for 2-3 days. Good luck....

So that would be a bit of a hassle if you still have to remove the battery from the iPhone.. just buy a brand new unit instead :)

So that would be a bit of a hassle if you still have to remove the battery from the iPhone.. just buy a brand new unit instead :)

I would do like you suggested, because the phone hardware will never be responsive as it have to be anymore, screen of buttons, or battery or mother board, or CPU, something will always misbehave after such a long time spent in the swimming pool. 15mn+ is not 15s+ sooo.

I think so???? I don't really know! I've never tried nor would want to (unless I took my phone swimming or something)

@bab2010 - Yes, I agree! The phone might still have value just because it wasn't open or repaired. Exclusively for iPhone collectors :p

@DaytonAnnie - Let's just wait for the Lifeproof cases so we can officially take a shower with our iPhones :p

Just another example in poor design by Apple. I've dropped many phones in h2o and if you immediately pull the battery out and wait a day or so, the phone works fine. Just recently with my HTC Aria.

With the battery sealed into the device, you're doomed. You MUST disconnect the power asap. Water and electricity do not mix well...lol

15 mins is to long anyway. Its a moot point. :)

Last edited:
Delete duplicate

The iPhone is the best made phone out there. It may not have some of the features as the android phones but as far as the quality there is no comparison. I don't know of any phone that would survive a 15 min swim without a good case (ie. Lifeproof case). Besides give it a chance. It still may dry out in a couple of days. Good luck! 

Last edited by a moderator: