What's new

iphone 4 water damage?

apple_stomper

Reaction score
So i was out on the boat the other day and the rain caught us out in the middle of the lake, tragic, anyways my iphone was in a bag and that bag had a little water on the bottom where the phone was. As soon as i got home i put the phone in uncooked rice and left it there for 3 days. i took it out and tried to turn it on but nothing.. i plugged it in and left it for 30 mintues? i came back and held the power button along with the home button and it turned on! I went to tell my girlfriend and when i came back it had turned off and wouldnt turn back on!! I plugged it in today and all it did was get warm, so it gave me bit of hope, could you guys help? Thanks for looking!

First things first, do not, whatever you do, try to switch the phone on or plug it into a charger. The absolute first thing you want to do when a cell phone gets soaked is remove the battery as quickly as possible. Retrieve the sim card and dry it off with a napkin or piece of cloth, they are pretty durable. Then I would disassemble the iphone and dry it out with a hair dryer. Then let it sit for at least three days, inside a box of silica gel beads (great idea with the rice, I never thought of that). The outcome is however totally unpredictable, only time will tell. I used to be real heavy into repairing Motorola Razors back in the day.

The iPhone has four 'Liquid Submersion indicators' inside it that turn pink on contact with water, a http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple/iphone-4/15903/guide-how-save-water-damaged-iphone-4s#look inside and the technicians can see if water is the cause of an unresponsive iPhone. So think twice before claiming it under your insurance, if you have any.

Personally I think you are SOL, but at this point you have nothing to lose trying to dry it more thoroughly by disassembling it.