What's new

Downgrade from iOS 7 successful, but restore from iOS 6 Backup not successful - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgavinski

Reaction score
Hello,

I successfully downgraded from iOS 7 beta to iOS 6.1.4. My backup that I made prior to iOS 7 wont restore. I get the following error when I attempt: "The backup "Patrick's iPhone 5" cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old." "To restore this iPhone from this backup, you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version."

Unfortunately doing that doesn't work as iOS 6.1.4 is the "newest" version. Looking around I see that I need to make changes to the backup's info.plist file to change the build version and product version. I changed those to the correct values (I think) Build version 10B350 and product version 6.1.4 and that didn't work. When I did that i no longer got the message above but got a message stating that the backup might be corrupt.

Any suggestions. I would love to be downgraded to iOS 6.1.4 from iOS 7 beta 1 and at least keep all of my texts and contacts as they were back before the upgrade.

Backup's not corrupted. From iOS 6 and on, the backup settings was changed with iTunes 11 (first supporting iTunes version for iOS 6), where your iOS 6 or above backup will not work on older devices (to "discourage" downgrading, particularly jailbreak users). Make sure you're editing the correct info.plist, and that you change the build number of one that matches your device's iOS and device combination. Personally I'd recommend changing it to iOS 6.0 GM, which is 6.0 for the product version, and 10A405 for the iPhone 5. Make sure that iTunes is closed and/or the process has been ended before doing so. Possibly a restart of your computer may help as well.

Backup's not corrupted. From iOS 6 and on, the backup settings was changed with iTunes 11 (first supporting iTunes version for iOS 6), where your iOS 6 or above backup will not work on older devices (to "discourage" downgrading, particularly jailbreak users). Make sure you're editing the correct info.plist, and that you change the build number of one that matches your device's iOS and device combination. Personally I'd recommend changing it to iOS 6.0 GM, which is 6.0 for the product version, and 10A405 for the iPhone 5. Make sure that iTunes is closed and/or the process has been ended before doing so. Possibly a restart of your computer may help as well.

Is 10A405 for the Verizon iPhone 5? Because I think I was using 10B350. And why do you recommend 6.0?

Last edited:
GSM and Global are both build 10A405. Nothing in particular to be honest. I've had the same case on several iPhone 4's from my colleagues when they wanted to downgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.1/6.1.2 because they had no clue how to deal with blobs and they restored because of a carrier unlock request. I've tried using both 6.1 and 6.1.2, but I get problem on some and not others. But on a few, where I changed it to 6.0, they worked without an hitches consecutively.

Hello,

I successfully downgraded from iOS 7 beta to iOS 6.1.4. My backup that I made prior to iOS 7 wont restore. I get the following error when I attempt: "The backup "Patrick's iPhone 5" cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old." "To restore this iPhone from this backup, you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version."

Unfortunately doing that doesn't work as iOS 6.1.4 is the "newest" version. Looking around I see that I need to make changes to the backup's info.plist file to change the build version and product version. I changed those to the correct values (I think) Build version 10B350 and product version 6.1.4 and that didn't work. When I did that i no longer got the message above but got a message stating that the backup might be corrupt.

Any suggestions. I would love to be downgraded to iOS 6.1.4 from iOS 7 beta 1 and at least keep all of my texts and contacts as they were back before the upgrade.

To restore sms and contacts, maybe you can try a 3rd party program called Backuptrans. It lets you restore backup back to your iPhone. No iOS version limit. Hope it helps.

I need to downgrade to 6.1.3 or 6.1 because on 6.1.4 my straight talk iPhone 5 that is unlocked and I use CDMA not gsm which uses a sim . One I updated my 3G won't work or send pictures I read tutorials on the fix but that's a no go for me sense I have no sim . Is there a way to to downgrade with a non jailbroken phone ? Some please help me

I'm in the same situation here, have you been able to get it to work?

GSM and Global are both build 10A405. Nothing in particular to be honest. I've had the same case on several iPhone 4's from my colleagues when they wanted to downgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.1/6.1.2 because they had no clue how to deal with blobs and they restored because of a carrier unlock request. I've tried using both 6.1 and 6.1.2, but I get problem on some and not others. But on a few, where I changed it to 6.0, they worked without an hitches consecutively.

Have you tried this with an iOS 7 Backup?

Just a comment..... Installing Beta ios7 when not a developer is risky business as you can loose data. Developers install the software to test their apps and hardware. We do not support users whom do this as it is frankly it is against our rules..

The OP has received solutions and hopefully the saga is over.
With that this thread is close

Status
Not open for further replies.