What's new

Does FaceTime work long distance

c.crandall

Reaction score
Hi, I have a brother who lives in another state, who has an iPhone 4, with the FaceTime app. I have the 4s. We have tried to FaceTime with each other but it doesn't seem to work. We are both using wifi.any suggestions? Please and ththanks.

c.crandall said:
Hi, I have a brother who lives in another state, who has an iPhone 4, with the FaceTime app. I have the 4s. We have tried to FaceTime with each other but it doesn't seem to work. We are both using wifi.any suggestions? Please and ththanks.

Hi,
Have you activated facetime through settings? Have you put an email address on there as well as the phone number?

Thank you both. I have not tried to enter an e-mail address for either me or him. I'll give that a try. Thanks

Last edited:
c.crandall said:
Thank you both. I have not tried to enter an e-mail address for either me or him. I'll give that a try. Thanks

Put in an email address for you, and one for him too. Although it should work with numbers too no prob as well as its activated, but theres been instances where it does not work with the phone no and it does with the email address.

Put in an email address for you, and one for him too. Although it should work with numbers too no prob as well as its activated, but theres been instances where it does not work with the phone no and it does with the email address.
Hi iMarilina... Are you still here??? Hope so, 'cause you're good!! In any case, I thought that with Skype you simply had to be "registered" with Skype, not having to deal with phone numbers or email address when trying to reach others with a Skype account. Or am I off-base here ? Or is your answer about Facetime. Perhaps I got lost in the conversation......

Last edited:
Hi iMarilina... Are you still here??? Hope so, 'cause you're good!! In any case, I thought that with Skype you simply had to be "registered" with Skype, not having to deal with phone numbers or email address when trying to reach others with a Skype account. Or am I off-base here ? Or is your answer about Facetime. Perhaps I got lost in the conversation......

Nope she got banned not sure why but i talked to her and she isnt sure either and she cant get in touch with any mods so she can explain herself. I agree she brought alot of knowledge to this forum!

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. Not certain, but I may have figured this out. After trying the suggested, adding e-mail in my phone, I asked my brother to do the same. He couldn't. His FaceTime settings were different than mine. Turns out he has not updated his iPhone 4 to I05. After talking to him, I FaceTimed a buddy in Colorado who has the update. His settings screen also looks like mine, which is the 4s. My brother is going to update his phone today, and we'll give it a try. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited: