What's new

FaceTime and long distance

Lenw

Reaction score
Just picked up my iPhone 4G. Still confused about long distance charges. When I open Contacts and click on FaceTime I then have a choice of clicking on friends email address or phone. Clearly no phone charges when I click on his email address but what happens if I were to click on his phone number particularly if I am in a different country?
Read many posts guessing at answer. If I only have a phone number am I incurring LD charges to initiate the call?

There are no charges!!! its done over a wifi connection making it FREE it does not matter if you call some one right next to you or some one on the other side of the world ;) Just press factime to call and thats it you dont have to phone them and get charged for the call

Yup facetime over wifi is free, i heard that you can jailbreak it and do it over 3G

PennyK said:
Yup facetime over wifi is free, i heard that you can jailbreak it and do it over 3G

Yes this is true. You can use 3G unrestrictor, facebreak or my3g and iOS 5 will do it natively.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. As a new user, i was confused. I called Apple support and the techie gave all wrong advice. After my persistence he dug up a memo from one of his cohorts that removed part of my confusion. I didnt even know that you call an iPhone4 by the phone number and you call an iPad2 or Mac computer by an email address. He was all over the map on that one. As for LD charges he told me to call my cell phone company - yeah, that was from Apple tech support. Again after my persistence, he put me on hold for several minutesand came back with the no LD charge answer. He was friendly but dumb.
I then confirmed all this with the best resource of all, my 16 year old grandson, who rattled off the right answers immediately.
Thanks again, folks