What's new

Does an Iphone let you type a name (key pads have 3 letters per number) and find it?

Guvner

Reaction score
I just came over from the dark side and on my other cell phone if I typed in the first few letters of the name of someone on my contact list it would take a guess at the rest of the name and show me a list of possible names in my contacts. Am I just not aware of the switch location?

Thanks..

Gary

The keypad will show any known contacts with the same number after inputting the entire number in. If you know the contact by name, type in the letters in Phone.app > Contacts.

Dialing the entire number in kind of means you know the number. Is there an app that can imitate this feature on many of the other platforms where if you dial one number, say to your friend Mark, by the time you get to M, A, R it already guesses ahead. I know how to take the extra steps you mentioned, I just want the quicker, intuitive way.

Thanks..

G..

Last edited:
On the stock iOS, it's not possible AFAIK. But I get the idea. It's often a lot easier to just be able to access it through the dialer. On a jailbroken device, you're able to tap and hold an extra button implemented and it would allow you to type our the letters displayed on each number, essentially melding both the Contacts and the Dialer portions of the Phone.app

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

I didn't know it would be taboo.. Probably something someone patented and Apple is required to forbid it. Thanks for replying. I'm practicing getting Siri to free me up from typing completely anyway.

Thanks..

Gary