What's new

Do You Use Your Mobile for Security?

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Does anyone use their mobile for security? For example, I am looking at a two camera WiFi system for the outside of my house. I know I would be able to monitor on my laptop and my mobile, but the system is fairly expensive, and I wanted to know if it is possible to rig something less expensive using my mobile? Any ideas or suggestion are welcome and appreciated. :)

Thank you, ro861. Have been happy with that system?

Very happy. I've been using it from 3-4 years.
FOSCAM FI 9803P HD Outdoor Wireless IP cameras, each one protected with a strong password, connected to my Apple router, managed by the app.
Need at first some investment, but I think it worth.

I really hate to invest in anything like this, but police advise I make the investment after some things have happened. What worries me is after I spend all this money, even if the cameras record criminals coming onto the property, how can I be sure it will be good enough for police to prosecute? Criminals commonly disguise their appearance with stocking masks, "hoodies," etc. What good is footage if the criminal is camouflaged?

To me the cameras are somewhat in sight and at the entrance I have a warning sticker, as there is a surveillance video system.
All this is for the purpose of discouragement.
At the same time, the system records the exact time and place of entry, as well as the number of offenders, even if they have camouflaged faces.
There is no complete elimination of risks, but it is still something.

I do not live in the worst possible neighbourhood, but I do not live in a particularly safe one either. In the last two weeks, some miscreant(s) threw nails into my drive. Luckily, I found them both times before any damage was done to my tires. First time, I thought perhaps the nails bounced in off of the street as the collection lorry went past. Second time, I knew it was an intentional act of attempted property damage. 34 brand new nails almost as long as my thumb were thrown into my drive. I reported it to police immediately.

Police and I both suspect neighbours with whom I have had a problem for nearly three years now. They will not stay away from my house, but police claim there is nothing that can be done unless these people take it a step further and egg my vehicle or do some other harm, which they appear to have done now. However, since there are no witnesses and no film of the culprit(s), nothing can be done to them. I have been advised to install cameras now. I am really not sure that will do much good if they are disguised. Police warned me that they may try to slash my tires. They have been harassing me with their vehicles every day for almost 3 years. They park in front of my house for days and days (first time it began they left one of their vehicles in front of my house for almost 3 months, which was the point at which I finally contacted police about them) and leave the space in front of their house open, and they do not use their drive at all. (They literally have been storing one vehicle on the street now for almost 3 years.) No one else has been able to park in front of my house for almost 3 years now, but there is no law against parking on a public street. I do not know these people from Adam. They appear to be maladjusted thugs that just enjoy harassing people.

Today, I discovered something from the back of my house has been stolen. It could have been anyone, but given the ongoing problem with these people, I cannot help but suspect them of this as well.

Cameras cannot hurt, but I am unconvinced that they will suffice to identify whoever is doing these things. Many people install cameras, etc., to help protect against roving criminals, but to have to install cameras to protect against one's own neighbours is shocking to say the least! I have lived here for years and never had a problem like this before. I blame the property owners as much if not more than their thug tenants. The landlords do not care. They do not have to live next door to any of it, and as long as they are getting the rent, then everyone else be damned.

Police told me one good thing about having the cameras is that I can use my mobile and my Mac to view the outside without even going out there. I agree that is a plus. I wish I had had cameras a few years ago. I may have been able to identify the vehicle that slammed into my vehicle sometime during the night. They hit me so hard that the impact knocked the ball joint out of the wheel and bent the axle. Cost me $1K to have the mechanical side of it repaired. I never even got a quote on the body damage, but I sure it would have been many thousands of dollars. Whoever did it left part of his bumper behind in the street! Reported it to police, of course, but nothing ever came of it. I borrowed my neighbour's vehicle to drive around the neighbourhood looking for a silver/grey vehicle with a wrecked front end and a missing piece of bumper, but I never found anything. They probably garaged it to hide it from view. They may not even have lived in this neighbourhood but were just passing through. Best guess is they were either blind drunk or high as a kite. How do you protect against something like that?? Cameras could not have stopped it, but a camera may have been able to record a license plate number, and that may have let us to the culprit.

Last edited:
I do not live in the worst possible neighbourhood, but I do not live in a particularly safe one either. In the last two weeks, some miscreant(s) threw nails into my drive. Luckily, I found them both times before any damage was done to my tires. First time, I thought perhaps the nails bounced in off of the street as the collection lorry went past. Second time, I knew it was an intentional act of attempted property damage. 34 brand new nails almost as long as my thumb were thrown into my drive. I reported it to police immediately.

Police and I both suspect neighbours with whom I have had a problem for nearly three years now. They will not stay away from my house, but police claim there is nothing that can be done unless these people take it a step further and egg my vehicle or do some other harm, which they appear to have done now. However, since there are no witnesses and no film of the culprit(s), nothing can be done to them. I have been advised to install cameras now. I am really not sure that will do much good if they are disguised. Police warned me that they may try to slash my tires. They have been harassing me with their vehicles every day for almost 3 years. They park in front of my house for days and days (first time it began they left one of their vehicles in front of my house for almost 3 months, which was the point at which I finally contacted police about them) and leave the space in front of their house open, and they do not use their drive at all. (They literally have been storing one vehicle on the street now for almost 3 years.) No one else has been able to park in front of my house for almost 3 years now, but there is no law against parking on a public street. I do not know these people from Adam. They appear to be maladjusted thugs that just enjoy harassing people.

Today, I discovered something from the back of my house has been stolen. It could have been anyone, but given the ongoing problem with these people, I cannot help but suspect them of this as well.

Cameras cannot hurt, but I am unconvinced that they will suffice to identify whoever is doing these things. Many people install cameras, etc., to help protect against roving criminals, but to have to install cameras to protect against one's own neighbours is shocking to say the least! I have lived here for years and never had a problem like this before. I blame the property owners as much if not more than their thug tenants. The landlords do not care. They do not have to live next door to any of it, and as long as they are getting the rent, then everyone else be damned.

Police told me one good thing about having the cameras is that I can use my mobile and my Mac to view the outside without even going out there. I agree that is a plus. I wish I had had cameras a few years ago. I may have been able to identify the vehicle that slammed into my vehicle sometime during the night. They hit me so hard that the impact knocked the ball joint out of the wheel and bent the axle. Cost me $1K to have the mechanical side of it repaired. I never even got a quote on the body damage, but I sure it would have been many thousands of dollars. Whoever did it left part of his bumper behind in the street! Reported it to police, of course, but nothing ever came of it. I borrowed my neighbour's vehicle to drive around the neighbourhood looking for a silver/grey vehicle with a wrecked front end and a missing piece of bumper, but I never found anything. They probably garaged it to hide it from view. They may not even have lived in this neighbourhood but were just passing through. Best guess is they were either blind drunk or high as a kite. How do you protect against something like that?? Cameras could not have stopped it, but a camera may have been able to record a license plate number, and that may have let us to the culprit.

So sorry you’re having to deal with that kind of crap! I would be furious. Hope u can catch them doing something and then them get into trouble for it.

We have been using the Blink XT system (2 cams currently but will be adding more) from amazon and we love it. My folks have the same system (6 cams around the perimeter of their home) and they love it as well. App is really user friendly and can be viewed from a mobile device.

Sad to read above. Why do some people do things like this?

Do any of your friendlier neighbours have cameras fitted? Perhaps their cameras picked up these idiots.

Good luck

Thank you, sushilover1981. I will take a look at that brand. I was considering a 2 camera system that costs a bit over $400. I would rather spend that money to pay off my new iPhone, or to put it toward replacing my Macbook next year or so, or for a lot of things that need doing, but I see the need for the cameras.

I spoke to the detective assigned to the nail case, and as I thought, there is nothing he can do without an eyewitness or film that clearly identifies the criminals. I have even been considering staking out my own house overnight, but that would be so hard to do. They might not attempt something like this again for weeks and weeks. Installing the cameras is the next best thing to a overnight guard. It is sad anyone has to live this way. Police told me to expect problems in future even if they move away. They will come back. How do you account for people like that? Are they sociopaths or what?? I do not understand it. I have never gone to anyone else's house like they do to mine, and the thing is they do not have to do it. They have so many other options, but they keep coming to my house even though they live 5 residences down the block from me.

Last edited:
NSquirrel, no, I do not think anyone else has cameras around here either. This is an old neighbourhood where most of the properties were built in the 1960s, some a little earlier. Over the years, more and more of the properties became "rentals," and the landlords simply do not care what their tenants do so long as they pay the rent. Most people around here, myself included, keep to themselves. We might wave hello from across the street or something, but that is about as far as it goes. I wish I could just mount my old 5s out there and record! :D

The standard answer I get anytime I tell someone about the harassment is "move." Well, I love my home, and I am old now. I know I cannot get another home as nice as this one for the same money unless I moved pretty far out, which I do not want to do. I do not want to move at all. It is a disgrace that anyone should have to move in order to get away from harassing neighbours anyway. Police cannot do anything about it at this point, though. I am looking into filing a suit against the property owner for nuisance. I believe she has legal liability. I have written to her 3 times in as many years, but she never replies, and her tenants continue to harass and even to escalate the harassment. I think a suit is the next step. I do not have any other options unless I can catch them in the act on film or through an eyewitness.

Last edited:
ro861, this is true. I guess societal norms change if people are combatting this sort of problem. I have travelled to a few other countries and never saw the problems there that I see here.

Here is a funny story for you. Many years ago, my husband was doing an onsite audit at a plant in Australia. His job was to identify and recommend solutions to problems. One of the things he immediately identified as a problem was that at the end of the day whence everyone went home, the plant was not locked up at all. He identified this as a security risk and recommended they fence the perimeter and lock up all offices and the grounds at night, on weekends, and on holidays. Whence he presented this recommendation in the management meeting, he said they all looked at him as though he were mad! :D He said their response was "why would we want to do that?!! If we do what you suggest, people will wonder what it is we are doing in here that we have to keep everything under lock and key!!" I do not know if they implemented his suggestion or not (probably not), but the story clearly illustrates that not everyone lives and works the way we do in the U.S.

That reminds me, too, of my own childhood. We never even locked the door either during the day or at night. Windows were left open, too. I could never live that way now. A few years ago, someone even stole two pretty terracotta pots that had pretty miniature rose bushes in them that I had nurtured for years until they had become a nice size. Recently, someone stole a bird bath base from the back of the house. It is just not very safe around here, but unless one can afford about 2-3 times the rent or mortgage payment to get into a neighbourhood with a better class of neighbours, one's choices are limited. I would prefer to live in a nicer neighbourhood where most homes are owner occupied, but I cannot afford it. It is an issue of supply and demand. Everyone wants the same thing, so prices are bid up for the better properties, and the peso has the say-so. :(

We have people with security cameras nearby, but then I think that most of them treat the cameras as a status symbol, especially when the cameras leave big risk areas.

You suggest two cameras, and I assume you mean one at the front at the other at the rear. While I have fitted our alarm system, I have never fitted cameras, but may I make a suggestion. From observation, each camera should have a second which just catches the other in its angle of view. Your neighbours sound somewhat unpleasant and hence likely to see one camera as a 'challenge.' Although it increases the cost, if they try to take out one, they will be caught, hopefully, on the second. I suspect, without checking, the recording/ monitoring system is likely to cost significantly more than the two additional cameras. Many of the monitoring systems accommodate several cameras as standard.

>>I wish I could just mount my old 5s out there and record!

Well there maybe a way, although it may only really work in daylight, unless your area is reasonably well lit at night. You would need to have the 5S on charge all the time. Have a look at motion detector apps in the App Store.(E.g. AtHome Video) Sit the phone in a window and perhaps it will pick up something. (It may also pick up anyone walking, animals, cars, etc. so may fill the memory quickly.) It may be worth a try. Cost should be minimal and once you have them on video, hopefully a more extensive system would not be needed.

Yes, I agree some people will buy into something simply for the status. No one in my neighbourhood would do that, though. This is not that affluent of a neighbourhood that people here would be likely to care about security cameras as a status symbol.

That is an excellent point about the extra cameras to try to protect against sabotage. That would require I purchase a four camera system, but only the 2 camera system is being offered for free financing and is still available. The 4 and 5 camera systems are sold out at the moment, and the 6 camera system is almost $1K on sale. It might be worth it to get the 3 camera system, but it is not offered on free financing either. It is a lot of money to pay up front. I only replaced my 5s with the 8 Plus because I was able to get free financing for one year on it.

I am angry that I must sacrifice a big chunk of my budget for this. It would be one thing if I were trying to protect myself from roving criminals, but these people live on my block!

I have read that the cameras themselves are often stolen! I plan to mount them high enough that anyone would need a tall step ladder to reach them. Hopefully, the thugs are not so motivated as to try to bring a ladder into my drive!

The battery in my 5s is dying, too, so unless I can figure out a really good way to use my 5s for security, I will not purchase a new battery for it. I wish Apple made these wireless security camera systems! I am sure they would be expensive, but I also sure they would be top quality and worth the price.