What's new

Disappointed with iphone 3GS, cancelling contract early

The 3 gs was a great phone when it came out 4 years ago. But by today's standards it outdated technology. Any kind of phone that's 4 years old is way behind the technology curve. Every year for the phones to do more the programs have more code requiring the phones to have faster processors and more memory. It's just the way it is. This fact is with every kind of technology from phones to computers.

I have had the iphone 3gs since May 2011 and I am not pleased with it. I have to charge the battery every day and I get a monthly bill from AT&T for $82.00, also it is very slow. I called Tracfone to get my former tracfone activated and they are sending me a new SIM card. As soon as I get the new Sim Card and have it activated, my AT&T Contract will be cancelled. I think Apple has it arranged where an iphone only lasts a period of time, and then they want you to spend more and buy another iphone. This iphone 3gs has been very costly for me, whereas the Tracfone only ran me about $100 per year with double minutes.Any thoughts on what to do with the 3gs when service is cancelled? Thanks all for listening.

The iPhone 3GS may not be as fast/ hi-tech as the iP4 onwards but it is still a great phone imo.

Your best bet would be selling it on eBay.. not sure what the US version of eBay is, think it's Craigslist? In the U.K, near to mint condition iPhone 3GS' can go for £194.00 which is about $313. But maybe it depends in the US.

Alternatively you could try one of those 'phone recycle' sites but don't know how much you'd get for it.

Well, were you satisfied with same or would you care to share your thoughts?

Verizon Prepaid and Straight Talk are decent. For the price they're offering, it's not bad. It's a bit sketchy depending on location, but in NY it's fine. In Illinois I'm not sure.

Having a 3Gs since 2009, it's works just as good as when it was taken out of the box back then. The phone is still in excellent condition, with no marks at all. After all the updates, yes it does run slower, but still a great phone, to give most smart phones a run for there money. Just because it's coming up four years old, does not mean its ready for the scrap pile. The battery only lasts the day out. My wife has a new Nokia Lumia 620 (W8) and after setting up the phone for her, it's great to go back to the 3Gs. If I was given the option of the 620, for my 3Gs, it's the 3Gs that would win.

Thanks everyone, I am now leaning towards the ipad 5 when it is available. I can use my prepaid Tracfone for texts and phone calls. If I understand correctly, I believe the ipad does everything else.