What's new

Disappointed with iphone 3GS, cancelling contract early

scrabble

Reaction score
I have had the iphone 3gs since May 2011 and I am not pleased with it. I have to charge the battery every day and I get a monthly bill from AT&T for $82.00, also it is very slow. I called Tracfone to get my former tracfone activated and they are sending me a new SIM card. As soon as I get the new Sim Card and have it activated, my AT&T Contract will be cancelled. I think Apple has it arranged where an iphone only lasts a period of time, and then they want you to spend more and buy another iphone. This iphone 3gs has been very costly for me, whereas the Tracfone only ran me about $100 per year with double minutes.

Any thoughts on what to do with the 3gs when service is cancelled? Thanks all for listening.

Seems silly to moan about battery life on a smart phone, none of them are amazing due to the fact it's a small computer that also makes phone calls ..
And as to your costs, surely that's down to you and what contact you took out ??
I pay about £40 a month ($70) gives me all I want, I'm sure there are similar deals in the US
FYI a good friend bought a 64gb 4s on eBay, has a sim only contract and pays £12 month ($20)

Almost everybody that has a smartphone has to charge it daily. Also, didn't AT&T outline your monthly charges in that contract you signed?

You always could've purchased an iPhone 4 or 4S and made it work with straight talk with unlimited everything for $45 a month. Actually, you could do that with your 3GS.

The charge depends on its use. An frankly after a year, the battery life will naturally slack. The 3GS uses 3G, which isn't exactly the fastest now, plus it also depends on your area. My bill would be somewhere at around $180 a month if my company didn't voluntarily help me pay for 1/2 of my bill, and that's for 1 line and excluding the company iPhone plans.

Also, remember that the iPhone 3GS only has a 600MHz single core processor, whereas the iPhone 4S and 5 have dual cores, plus the cache and RAM on the 3GS isn't as large as even the 4, let alone the 4S and 5, so your iPhone 3GS is less capable than the 4S and 5. A 3GS, is basically the same as your back-in-the-day average Windows 95 brick wall computer in terms of processing capabilities, it's just that as a mobile phone, things tend to be easier ran. If you want to see the full capabilities of an iPhone, get the iPhone 5. 1.3GHz dual core processor that overclocks itself, 1GB RAM, retina display, etc etc. Yes the 3GS does have iOS 6 but that's only because the 600MHz processor can juuuust run it at the bare minimum. iOS 6 is said to be the last iOS for the 3GS before it goes into the forgotten state like the original and the 3G.

Last edited:
I have 4 iPhones4s 10gb family data plan and my bill is 275 a mo. I get a 23% discount

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

$82/mo w/ AT&T for a single line isn't bad at all. If we were talking in the $100+ range... that's getting a bit ridiculous. Smartphones cost more money to operate monthly... the wireless companies aren't trying to hide that. And of course your Trac Phone is gonna cost "$20/yr..." that's using absolutely no data and probably rarely using it. Like Darkstar mentioned above... check out Straight Talk for unlimited everything for $45/mo.

Charging a smartphone every day... that's nothing new.

Smartphones are like handheld computers. Battery life will drain if you use it through out the day. Browsing the net, sending txt messages and getting notifications will drain the battery but all of that is expected to happen on a smart phone.

You will find the same issue on any other smartphone as well.

Via Tapatalk

I have had the iphone 3gs since May 2011 and I am not pleased with it. I have to charge the battery every day and I get a monthly bill from AT&T for $82.00, also it is very slow. I called Tracfone to get my former tracfone activated and they are sending me a new SIM card. As soon as I get the new Sim Card and have it activated, my AT&T Contract will be cancelled.

Say's who? AT&T sold you that phone probably at a reduced rate. How does getting a SIM card from a different company make your contract with AT&T void?

What probably will happen is they will charge you an early termination fee. I don't know how much that will be, you'll have to check with AT&T but it's probably going to be for at least the value of the phone at this time.

Maybe you didn't get the phone from AT&T but if you signed a contract for service I can almost guarantee there will be an early termination fee.

If you end your contract before its time, you will have to pay a early cancellation fee. That's with most cell phone carriers.

When I was on a contract with AT&T years ago, I had to pay $250, and that was the cancellation fee than.

Via Tapatalk

I'm shocked at how high the US service plans are, I'm sure it's at least half that in the UK

I had a iPhone 3GS and if you compare it to other mobiles the same age, it's actually a good phone

Yeah that's true, apple products are built to last compared to other devices. Older Apple products are very reliable.

Via Tapatalk

The 3GS is 50 years ahead in speed and technology compared to the iPhone 3G

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback, seems there is a lot about iphone technical aspects that I do not understand. Have a nice day.

If its slow, try deleting all your text messages , I did this on my 3G before I sold it on eBay last year ( phone was very slow ) couldn't believe how it flew after all that deleting !!