What's new

Dilemma - leave unlimited data or get a new smartphone

Tricon7

Reaction score
I have the now-antique iPhone 4 with 3G, and I really want something newer. Unfortunately, we're on a very tight budget and I can't pay full price to get a new phone to keep my unlimited data with Verizon. I usually use 3-4G of data a month, very rarely using 5G. Verizon has a deal with signing a new contract of getting 6G a month for $30/mo. (what I'm paying now for unlimited), and I could get a new phone for $1. I had thought about going to Sprint with its unlimited data plan, but after some checking online for reviews for Sprint for my area, I read that their coverage really stinks here, so I don't want to jump ship.

Opinions are welcome. I could hang on to my unlimited data and keep my old, tired iPhone 4, or get a new data plan of 6G/mo. which I doubt I'll ever hit (at least now).

I have the 4s and am nearing the end of my contract but as the phone is old but fully functional I don't intend replacing it.

You're not going to like my answer, but "wanting" instead of "needing" a phone when on a tight budget indicates keeping what you currently have is the correct choice.

Verizon is offering a free iphone 6 if you trade in your 4. At least that's what the add says on their site.