What's new

Detail breakdown of strorage usage

DPForumDog

Reaction score
Hello
Am I just bad at math?
My iphone 4 has 8GB but when I view usage it says that I have used
5.7GB and that there is 512 MB available, but that doesn't add up to 8GB.

Am I looking at this wrong?
Thanks,
DP

Hello Am I just bad at math? My iphone 4 has 8GB but when I view usage it says that I have used 5.7GB and that there is 512 MB available, but that doesn't add up to 8GB. Am I looking at this wrong? Thanks, DP
The difference is used by the operating system, the stock apps, and the data used by the apps, that's why the amount of storage available to the user never equals the total advertised storage capacity.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

[QUOTE=willerz2;326298] Open up Cydia, go to Manage, and check out the breakdown of the iOS filesystem storage availability. It's a more accurate depiction of your usage as opposed to Settings.app > Usage since it breaks down your Cydia storage as well as opposed to just labeling it as "Other". If anything, you can run SemiRestore or ILEX RAT on the occasion that they're files that iCleaner (basic) does not see. Or, you can use iCleaner Pro.[/QUOTE]

I have an Iphone 4 and I don't have enough storage for an update. (5.7GB used and only 512 MB available, I am trying to figure out what is using all that storage. I did searches in the archive but I can't find an answer that I understand. (I don't know where to find Cydia and I dont know what jailbreak is .....yet )

How can I see whats being stored in the different areas?

I want to know how much storage is taken up by texts, photos and music, etc.
Computer>DPs Phone>DCIM>967YOYDJ .... But all I see is photos. And I don't get the size of anything when I go my icloud backup?

Thanks,
Laura

My iphone told me I couldn't get the update because I didn't have enough storage. I went to ITunes and ITunes allowed me to get the update. Took an hour but I think it worked. Now when I go to settings>usage on the phone I can see a qty breakdown by category, (music takes up the most for me) I could not see the size of each catgegory before the upgrade.