What's new

Deleted messages

jimfastcar

Reaction score
If I read an email on the 4S and delete it, it also deletes it in Outlook on my desktop. I prefer not to do that
Can I modify something in Settings to accomplish this ?
Thanks for your help

If memory serves, you need to go into the advanced settings for that particular email account.

I use Exchange on my iPhone and MBP. When I had an Android, I used Touchdown, an app specifically for Exchange. Touchdown provided a setting to allow users to delete a message from their phone but retain it on the Exchange server. I was unable to locate a similar setting in the stock iPhone mail app.

If I read an email on the 4S and delete it, it also deletes it in Outlook on my desktop. I prefer not to do that
Can I modify something in Settings to accomplish this ?
Thanks for your help
On your iPhone, go to settings> emails, contacts, calendars/ there you locate your email account, tap on it to go to the email account setting, check the "ARCHIEVE DELETE MAILS" and voila, whatever email you delete from your iPhone mail app will remain on the server.

On your iPhone, go to settings> emails, contacts, calendars/ there you locate your email account, tap on it to go to the email account setting, check the "ARCHIEVE DELETE MAILS" and voila, whatever email you delete from your iPhone mail app will remain on the server.

Thanks for the tip! I followed the steps but was not able to locate the "ARCHIVE/DELETE MAILS" tab to set. My phone had the following:

emails, contacts, calendars
Accounts:

iCloud
Exchange
Gmail

Tapping Exchange it displays:
Account
Mail
Contacts
Calendars
Reminders

Mail Days to Sync
Mail Folders to Push

Delete Account

I tapped Account which displayed

Email
Server

Domain
Username
Password

Description
Use SSl
S/MIMW

Should I have looked in a different account or setting?

I have the 4s with the latest software ... I like to keep my mail on the server as well. I have several email accounts, including Gmail exchange. I can't find anything to change the gmail on the phone, but for my other email accounts, it's: settings>email account>advanced>delete from server: never. My choices are: never, seven days, when removed from inbox.

I think you have to change your delete settings for Gmail via the web interface. Go to the Gmail in your browser on your computer. Click email settings (upper right corner, with the gear). Go to "forwarding and POP/IMAP", then you can look at the settings. Under the POP settings, option 2, there are several choices, including the option to keep/delete gmails copy. Under the IMAP option, there are also choices, including archiving the message, and immediately deleting the message forever.

Hope this is what you are talking about.

Last edited: