What's new

Deleted 3G iPhone's data. How do I get the basic OS back in place?

Tcall

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my 3G iPhone contacts. I thought, since I had no other personal data in the phone, that if I just deleted the iPhone's contents I could just start over. Now when I turn the phone on it just opens to the Emergency Call function. Help! What do I do to get the basic OS back in place?

Thanks!

Not sure if we can help, but tell us exactly what you did to delete the contents. Did you do it from your phone or use iTunes? Were you jailbroken? Is your phone GSM or CDMA?

I did it from the phone. It is not jailbroken; it's AT&T. And I don't know if it is GSM or CDMA...

Do you have iTunes installed on a computer? Make sure it is the most up to date version and then hook your phone to your computer and open iTunes. You can restore from there. iTunes should "recognize" your phone and then you can restore it.

Is it a plain 3G or is it a 3GS? I am not sure a 3G will work with iOS5.1. Better make sure before you hook it up to iTunes unless you have an older iOS version.

xrayeyes said:
Is it a plain 3G or is it a 3GS? I am not sure a 3G will work with iOS5.1. Better make sure before you hook it up to iTunes unless you have an older iOS version.

iPhone 3G can only go as high as iOS 4.2.1. And that's it. Only a 3GS and higher model iPhone can run on iOS 5.

That did it! Thanks to you both!