What's new

Delayed Activation ?

jrd4849

Reaction score
Newbie question here. I have a single line account with Verizon with a dumb phone. I would like to upgrade to an iPhone and use it as a gift for the wife. Can I purchase the phone now thru the online page or the local store but delay actual activation until Christmas so that my wife doesn't lose service on her current phone until then? Has anyone done this with Verizon? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Until you dial #228 and press 1 on the phone it will not activate. But that was based on me waiting 6 days once, several years ago on a LG phone I was swapping out. I believe that rule still applies today.

The other thing is you can swap out which phone is active from the vzw.com thru account management. I have done that a LOT over the last two years.

Explain uout situation to Verizon, see if they have a call plan (for groveling husbands ;) ).

Until you dial #228 and press 1 on the phone it will not activate. But that was based on me waiting 6 days once, several years ago on a LG phone I was swapping out. I believe that rule still applies today.

The other thing is you can swap out which phone is active from the vzw.com thru account management. I have done that a LOT over the last two years.
Does the iPhone activate that way? I thought that it activated thru iTunes or over wifi. 6 days is one thing but I'm talking about several weeks. I really don't want to mess with swapping dumb and smart phones around via account management.

Does the iPhone activate that way? I thought that it activated thru iTunes or over wifi. 6 days is one thing but I'm talking about several weeks. I really don't want to mess with swapping dumb and smart phones around via account management.

Why? It is faster than dialing or using iTunes.

Explain uout situation to Verizon, see if they have a call plan (for groveling husbands ;) ).
Changing calling plans is really not in the picture here even for a groveling husband. The plan is to just change to a smart phone keeping the same plan I have now and adding a data plan. The whole idea is for it to be a surprise but I don't want to wait to the last minute to order the phone.

Changing calling plans is really not in the picture here even for a groveling husband. The plan is to just change to a smart phone keeping the same plan I have now and adding a data plan. The whole idea is for it to be a surprise but I don't want to wait to the last minute to order the phone.

Ok, then buy the phone and don't activate it. You log into VZW.com. You click on the activate/switch device button. You select her original phone and hit next. Then you follow the prompts. Fill in the phones EMID number and you are done.

Seriously it really is that easy.

Why? It is faster than dialing or using iTunes.
Well different activation methods don't concern me right now. My intent was to get the phone early avoiding the Christmas rush and delay activation until Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has actually done this. If it is too much hassle I'll just wait and see.

Ok, then buy the phone and don't activate it. You log into VZW.com. You click on the activate/switch device button. You select her original phone and hit next. Then you follow the prompts. Fill in the phones EMID number and you are done.

Seriously it really is that easy.
Yes I have activated that way before. The real question is will Verizon get upset if I buy the phone and wait three or four weeks to activate.

no matter the carrier, unlike any other maker bar blackberries, Apple control any activation through their servers via the carriers instructions.

why i say call the carrier,explain as you won't be the only one giving a iPhone as an xmas present to a partner or relation.

tbh the activation via iTunes can be time consuming, if it don't work out (and sometime it don't) you have no time to sort it. my advice is activate several days before you need just to be certain if a loving xmas, not a damp squibb.

FWIW in case anyone is interested. I finally got an answer back from Verizon about delayed activation.

"You do have the ability to purchase the iPhone early, and wait to activate the device on Christmas. We certainly anticipate that you and your wife will be pleased with the new iPhone device, however, we understand how important it is to be confident in your Customer Guarantee.

Currently, your Customer Guarantee gives you 14 days from the purchase date to return a device that you may be unhappy with or have changed your mind about. However, with the special Holiday Return and Exchange Policy, we have made an exception. Purchases made between 11/15/2011 and 12/28/2011 may be returned or exchanged no later than 01/15/2011. Again, we anticipate that you will be pleased with the device, we just want to make sure that you are fully aware of your options. "

Good job. I am doing the same thing. Got her a phone at BB, they activated then deactivated it, still in the box. Verizon said there is a 5 day limit in which it must be activated so that took care of that. Now I can log into VW on Christmas morning and get it going again, or wait on hold for 45 minutes or stand in line at BB for an hour, my choice : ) Merry Christmas

FWIW in case anyone is interested. I finally got an answer back from Verizon about delayed activation.

"You do have the ability to purchase the iPhone early, and wait to activate the device on Christmas. We certainly anticipate that you and your wife will be pleased with the new iPhone device, however, we understand how important it is to be confident in your Customer Guarantee.

Currently, your Customer Guarantee gives you 14 days from the purchase date to return a device that you may be unhappy with or have changed your mind about. However, with the special Holiday Return and Exchange Policy, we have made an exception. Purchases made between 11/15/2011 and 12/28/2011 may be returned or exchanged no later than 01/15/2011. Again, we anticipate that you will be pleased with the device, we just want to make sure that you are fully aware of your options. "