What's new

data usage...

neko_koneko

Reaction score
I just got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and I had ordered it with the 200MB Data plan.

I have already used 160MB of that, but I have been in my house where I have a wireless router. I finally found out to turn of the cellular data usage in settings, and to disable 3G and that seemed to help.

Anyway, is there a way I can use unlimited or more data/internet browsing on my iphone when I am away from my router?? I have heard of MyWi, but it sounded to me like that was only for tethering with other devices. And have also heard there was a problem with it. I want to be able to stream internet radio and watch youtube without going over my data while I am out..

you are going to need an upgrade to your data package,especailly if you have already burned up the 200mb.....i did 2gb in the first 2 days

ok, i looked at my iphone settings again and i made a mistake about the usage. It said in the received row 160KB NOT 160MB! And in the sent row it said, 1.2MB. Is the received how much I have used? And how about this MyWi app?

ok, i looked at my iphone settings again and i made a mistake about the usage. It said in the received row 160KB NOT 160MB! And in the sent row it said, 1.2MB. Is the received how much I have used? And how about this MyWi app?

the myWi Fi app, makes you phone a wireless router so you can use you laptop to use your phones data, i would highly not recommend this app unless you have unlimited data

both sent and recieved count against your data usage from you carrier

you are going to need an upgrade to your data package,especailly if you have already burned up the 200mb.....i did 2gb in the first 2 days

Two gigs in two days ? I honestly do not know how people are using that much data. I can see in the first month or so when you are getting used to the phone and dl apps and setting things up. After you learn to use your phone your data usage will drop. I do have a router at home so any app searching I do and downloading is there. I am constantly streaming pandora and surfing the web away from wifi though. I only use about a gig and a half a month with heavy use.

yea...the 2 gigs went pretty much all to tomtom....thought i was on wifi,i wasnt....im on unlimited now...so no worries

i Use about 850mb of my 1gb each month so they way your going I would go to 2gb.

Ive been ok with the minimum 200mb plan thanks to my wifi at home. I don't watch YouTube or download large apps while on 3G. AT&T has wifi at all mcdonalds and Starbucks also.

Ive been ok with the minimum 200mb plan thanks to my wifi at home. I don't watch YouTube or download large apps while on 3G. AT&T has wifi at all mcdonalds and Starbucks also.

Yes, home wi-fi is the key. In fact, I don't see see why ANYONE with home wi-fi wouldn't disable their 3G and "Cellular data" within the iPhone settings! With wi-fi, I'm thinking you can do ANYTHING, without using up data plan time. But, maybe I'm mistaken........ or not.