What's new

Data Usage

RogJr36

Reaction score
What causes more data usage on iPhones? Is it streaming music or watching videos & movies? Does
downloading apps & using those apps
cause your data to skyrocket?N e advice
would b greatly appreciated.

Streaming and/or downloading video & movie files.
Downloading apps will also use up data on the data plan, some apps can be 100 MB in size or more. Also, updating apps will use a lot. Apps don't "update", the older version is deleted and a newer version is installed.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Last edited:
Streaming and/or downloading video & movie files.
Also, updating apps will use a lot. Apps don't "update", the older version is deleted and a newer version is installed.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Yes! I've got a couple of 120+ MB apps and they wish to update all the time. I see little difference after the update (except maybe for advertising changes) and it really bugs me how these app providers are so smug with their mega-updates. I wonder if Apple demands entire app downloads for whatever reason. Seems to me like software programmers could provide for "incremental updates -- unless Apple objects....

Navigation can use more data than the average application as well. Depends if your taking a 10 minute trip or a 10 hour trip.

Other than that, I agree with streaming music and video.. (Hours of Pandora is a no no)

iShawn said:
Navigation can use more data than the average application as well. Depends if your taking a 10 minute trip or a 10 hour trip.

Other than that, I agree with streaming music and video.. (Hours of Pandora is a no no)

Hours or Netflix is a BIG no no lol. Unless your cool like me and have sprint ;)