What's new

Data Misers teach me to limit my Data!!???

robredd72

Reaction score
Ok so my first month I went over my 200 mb data plan!!! I was "new iphone 4 happy" and went over and was promptlt charged by AT&T. So now I am better but don't think I have the hang of it. Now I have a strict 200mb, so from what I understand, if I am home using Wi-fi with 3G disabled I wont use data from my 200 mb pool? I usually leave 3G off always even when checking my email and browsing the net from my car. I do believe that it still uses my 200 mb if data when I am mobile (with 3G still disabled) and not in wifi range right? I am not sure exactly what disabling the cellular data on and off does? I tried to disable it once, but then it keep giving me popups that it needed to be on to do anything! So thats it I leave my 3G off and wherever I go I try to connect to the wifi with the cellular data on. I have limited my MMS texting with attachments and youtubing and this seems to be a good reduction in data usage. Although I am good to do that stuff on wifi without using data right? thanks for your suggestions.

Turning 3G off won't stop usage. You can still use data over edge. MMS doesn't work off data if you have messaging on your plan it's included in that. The big data hogs are emails with attachments and YouTube......

MMS doesn't work off data if you have messaging on your plan it's included in that. ...

techically mms does work off the data network....but danny boy is right ...there is no charge

i had my wife net tured off so my bioy cou;dnt "accidenally"charge us for more stuff,the mms didnt work.i had to call them back,then they decided to tell me data "powers" the mms/picture messages

Yes I believe that I did see the data decrease while sending MMS texts with several photo attachments. So does this mean that sending MMS texts with photo attachments will dip into my 200 mb data plan? Also using Edge or 3G are going to use my available data right? I usually leave 3G off as I have heard having it and Wifi off conserve battery. However if both Edge and 3G use data, I imagine I should turn on the 3G for faster data download, since it is taken from my 200 mb either on faster 3G or slower Edge? When I have Wifi linked to a router, does my phone not pull from my 200 mb at all? You mentioned youtube and email with attachments are data hogs, how about facebook?