What's new

Where is my 3g going??

aprilnielsen

Reaction score
Help! I have always been on the 200 mb plan with my iPhone. It since I got the 4s I have been using tons of 3G! This month I only left my house and the wifi connection a couple of times and two days after my data started over I got a message telling me I had used 60%! While I was gone I hadn't even used it! How do I figure out what is causing the problem?????

Turn off location stuff in the iPhone, turn off email fetching, close most apps you are not using completely from the multitasking bar.

bab2010 said:
Turn off location stuff in the iPhone, turn off email fetching, close most apps you are not using completely from the multitasking bar.

Thanks! What is the multitasking bar?

Double push the home button to reveal the multitasking bar, there you will see all apps which are opened and perhaps still working in the background, tap hold on one of the app and they all will start wiggling with a red minus - sign on top of each app, tap on that - sign to completely close the apps.

My wife has a 500 mb plan and she wants to save it for important use when on a trip. So she has 3G turned off in settings, general, network. When she is away from wifi and needs to use internet, she flips it back on. Her use so far this month is 3 mb.

Where does it go? One day she was watching a video (probably YouTube) when I flipped off the wifi router to reset it. Her movie kept going . . . on 3G. No warning. (Others say this could not have happened.) iPhone is very good about not doing updates on 3G but there are features like push notification (letting you know instantly when new email is available) that use internet data. iMessage uses it when available so you don't get charged for texting. If you have Siri, be aware that Siri lives in California, not on your phone. All voice to and from Siri goes over internet. A quick look at the weather costs quite a few bytes because the whole display is a graphic.