What's new

3g & wifi

fjf31970

Reaction score
Im new to the iphone,just got it 2 days ago.so far love.

Have a question with 3g and wifi.I always see the 3g at top of display,but when i click on settings,next to wifi it says not connected.I then click on wifi and next screen wit has off on option and it is set ton on.Shouldn't wi-fi always say connected.I got phone from verizone.On there map my whole area is covered,so shopuldn't i always have wi-fi connection??

this is probably a stupid question,but im new to this smart phone stuff,and not to familiar with wi-fi

Wifi and 3G are different things. 3G is mobile Internet provided by verzion. When you have a 3G signal you will see the 3G icon. There's a charge for using it that's usually included in your monthy bill.

Wifi is what most people have in their house these days to use the internet on a PC or mac. Your phone can connect to it to use the Internet instead of using up your monthy 3G allowance. It's also alot faster and you can download apps over 20mb directly to your phone or use FaceTime which is restricted on 3G. When you connect to wifi it overrules 3G and you get upto three wifi bars depending on signal strength...

Wifi and 3G are different things. 3G is mobile Internet provided by verzion. When you have a 3G signal you will see the 3G icon. There's a charge for using it that's usually included in your monthy bill.

Wifi is what most people have in their house these days to use the internet on a PC or mac. Your phone can connect to it to use the Internet instead of using up your monthy 3G allowance. It's also alot faster and you can download apps over 20mb directly to your phone or use FaceTime which is restricted on 3G. When you connect to wifi it overrules 3G and you get upto three wifi bars depending on signal strength...

Ahh,ok thanks.So there is nothing wrong with the phone when it says wifi not connect.just means it's not picking any wifi location in the area?.And when it does say wifi not detected everyhing on phone will work normal,just a bit slower?

BTW,great forum,quick answers to question.sent email to verizon yesterdat to see if they could help,but still no response.don't need thier response lol.

once again thanks

Nothing wrong. Just means exactly what it says. If your not using wifi it's best to have it turned off as it will decrease battery life when on even if not connected...

this is probably a stupid question,but im new to this smart phone stuff,and not to familiar with wi-fi

Not a stupid question -- you should read some of mine! Anyway, what gaz.... wrote you is true. However, if you have the option of using wi-fi instead of your 3G, use it!! Wi-Fi is free (if you have it where you live) but 3G will cost you plenty if you do a LOT of Internet usage per month!

perhaps someone could answer a question for me on this subject. I have my phone set to use my wifi when Im at home. It said its connected but I dont get the wifi icon ever, just the 3g. any advice?

Last edited:
If you dont get the wifi icon tha means your not connected. Are you sure you've enteredthe correct wifi password for your router in your house...?

Yeah, it said Im connected, under my settings>wifi, it has my router name and a check mark by it under network. I tap the blue checkmark by my routers name and it gives me my IP address and subnet mask.

Last edited:
Have you tried resetting your network settings? You will need to enter your wifi password in again after doing so.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings...

Ill give it a try
no still the same. Its very odd, while at work today we have an unsecured wifi and I joined it but yet again, no wifi icon, just #G so its not just here at home

Last edited:
My phones not JB, but I guess it doesn't matter because this am I woke up, read this thread, grabbed my phone to try the reboot and I seen the wifi icon going at full strength. dont know what happened but its connected now. I do appreceate everyones help on this tho. Thanks for taking the time to read and post some suggestions!