What's new

Damp iphone, screen nackered?

HPD

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I had water spilled over me from a watering can and quickly realised my iphone was in my pocket. It didnt look too wet so I dried it off expecting it to be fine. 10mins later i tried it and the screen was extremely dark to the extent I thought the phone wasnt switched on. I got home and stripped the phone down into its components (just the same as when I replaced a smashed screen months ago) then left it infront of a cold slow hair dryer for an hour.

I assembled the phone and the screen looked like new apart from 2 glitches. The first is that it flickers slightly like its struggling for power, and interestingly when i adjusted the brightness settings down to about 50% the screen goes completely black. The second problem is that the bottom row of the screen (typically the call icon, email, safari and ipod) doesnt respond to touch however this part DOES respond to 'slide to unlock' which seems bizarre.

If anyone could shed any light on the damage thats been caused, whether to try drying it further, where to get it repaired, etc etc I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks.

I would try drying it further. Putting it into a container of rice works quite well at soaking up moisture. Leave it in there for a good 48 hours.

I would try drying it further. Putting it into a container of rice works quite well at soaking up moisture. Leave it in there for a good 48 hours.
yes the rice trick usually works i gather from other members.

Yes, put it in a big bag of dry, raw rice and seal the bag and put it in a warm location or out in the sun for at least a day. This will pull the moisture into the rice, away from the electronics.