What's new

Cydia will not work after jailbreak with Absinthe

CXXXV

Reaction score
Did the jailbreak with Absinthe. Cydia worked fine for a while. Then it suddenly will not stay open. It looks like it's opening and then shuts down immediately.

Do I need to jailbreak again or is this a known issue.

Hey, Got the same prob. all you have to do is boot it tethered with redsn0w ar something like that and it works. it might be an untethered jailbreak but the springboard needs to be reset

Hi folks, just jail broke my iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 with absinthe. On first glance, it seemed everything went well. Started using Cydia like previous jailbreaks and everything was hunky-dory. Now Cydia along with tweaks and such will not function. Safari doesn't even want to work anymore. None of the Cydia apps show up under the settings page anymore either although app icons are still visible. Any ideas anyone?

Hey, Got the same prob. all you have to do is boot it tethered with redsn0w ar something like that and it works. it might be an untethered jailbreak but the springboard needs to be reset

Can you details the steps please. Do I start Absinthe on my PC and then plug in and reboot the phone.

If you have to boot tethered to make your phone work after jailbreaking with Absinthe....then something is really wrong... And you need to restore... Or prepare for more future problems.

How to make a jailbreak with Absinthe on 5.1.1 exceptionally stable:

1) restore...setup as new device (NOT FROM BACKUP...)

2) after restore, go through the initial on screen setup... Just to where you get to the SpringBoard(home screen). Once you see your SpringBoard..DO NOT touch or configure anything

3) Open Absinthe.exe and jailbreak. (you MUST wait til Absinthe tells you it's okay to open Cydia). DO NOT "Erase All Content and Settings"!!!

4) once jailbreak is done....either:
1) restore a backup that was not taken from your device while it was jailbroken. If all you have is backups from your device while it was jailbroken...then don't restore to any of them. This is the "main" cause of problems.
2) don't restore from a backup at all,.. And just sync music, apps, tones, etc. doing this is recommended and WILL yield the most stable jailbreak always.

5) once done syncing apps, music, etc....close iTunes....open Cydia...wait for SpringBoard to reload.

6) once your SpringBoard restarts, open Cydia again...and wait...wait til it completely loads...it will take a little bit if time the first time.

7) once Cydia has loaded completely...tap on the Search tab and search for Mobile Substrate...install it.

8.) once Mobile Substrate is installed....you can now open Cydia, and start installing tweaks and whatnot on your extremely stable jailbroken device.

;)

You risk compromising the stability of any jailbreak when you restore from a backup....especially a backup from the device while it was jailbroken...or from a backup in which your device had some type of problems when you created the backup. .
Restoring to a backup in which when the device was stock is the safest.

When you don't restore from a backup:

If your worried about loosing pictures...well...that's what Dropbox and other free cloud services are for. Learn to use them...backup pics better then iTunes anyway.

If your worried about losing SMS and call logs. There is in easy way to backup and restore them via SSH...it's not hard at all...google it.

Want to backup your Cydia tweaks's settings....

Backup var/mobile/Library/Preferences. I recommend you backup you tweaks' .plist only,....nothing stock.

Game progress....there is a Cydia tweak for that. Google it.

Anything toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be restored to your device even if you don't restore from a backup. That is what iCloud does.

Last edited:
Zig, in my attempts to get weather elements working I restored following these steps and can notice a difference. Everything runs exceptionally smooth.

Hey Zig, I did what you suggested after my post last night with one or two minor differences and everything is golden now. I must say the most important step is to "restore and set up as a new device" and not to restore from any backup especially one from a previously jail broken device. Wish I waited to see your post this morning for a more thorough and clean transaction in regards to lost game data and tweaks. Great write up!

Hey Zig, you steps are somewhat different than the instructions provided with Absinthe:

Theirs is like this:

- Back up to iTunes (not a Jailbreak backup)
- Complete factory reset
- Run through initial setup (like new phone)
- Install Absinthe
- Restore from iTunes

This is what I did initially. After doing some Cydia stuff is when Cydia stopped working.

CXXXV said:
Hey Zig, you steps are somewhat different than the instructions provided with Absinthe:

Theirs is like this:

- Back up to iTunes (not a Jailbreak backup)
- Complete factory reset
- Run through initial setup (like new phone)
- Install Absinthe
- Restore from iTunes

This is what I did initially. After doing some Cydia stuff is when Cydia stopped working.

That is why my instructions are better.:)

Just restore "once" setup as new device.
Setup initial on screen setup.
Jailbreak
Don't restore from backup.
Sync music, apps, tones, etc.

Done.

Works perfectly.

The Dev team only said to restore from backup because 90% of most users would rather restore from backup then setup they're device all over again I'm sure.

But there are ways to backup up a lot of data and settings without using an iTunes backup.

Setting up as new and not restoring from backup will yield the most stable jailbreak.

Figured out my battery issue a couple of hours after my post but I feel the need to chime it and apologize for accusing the jailbreak or Cydia for my own stupidity. Cydia and the jailbreak had NOTHING to do with my battery drain.

Can you details the steps please. Do I start Absinthe on my PC and then plug in and reboot the phone.
Just download redsn0w(google it) and simly click boot tethered in the more tab.

keshan1028 said:
Just download redsn0w(google it) and simly click boot tethered in the more tab.

There is no reason to boot tethered.

If you have to boot tethered to make the phone work...then they just need to restore, setup as new (not from backup) jailbreak again..and be done with it.

If I had to boot tethered to make my phone work, I would restore until I didn't.

I restored my phone to factory conditions. I have not done another Jailbreak yet. I am concerned that it is just not very stable. So far no one has been able to explain why Cydia suddenly stopped working.

Besides, with iOS 6 on the horizon it may be worthwhile waiting.

If its not stable for you then you did something wrong. The 5.1.1 jb is more than stable!! If I were you I would download absinthe from a link on this website and try again.