What's new

Cydia Apps that dont work with Tethered 4.2.10 Jailbreak

AFAngryWarrior

Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake and updated my Verizon iphone 4 to the 4.2.10 software without saving my SHSH Blobs, so I can't go back. The only way to jailbreak was with redsn0w's tethered jailbreak so I did. I didnt have any problems completing the jailbreak. Its a pain to have to run to my laptop everytime I install something that requires a reboot, but the bigger pain is NOT knowing if what I installed will ruin my jailbreak.

I tried to install Winterboard from Cydia, and then did the tethered reboot with redsn0w. My phone stuck on the pineapple for about 5 minutes, then the white apple logo infinitely. I restored my phone, redid the jailbreak and tried a different source for Winterboard and the same outcome occured. This also happened so far with MY3G (also tried 2 different cydia sources). Has anyone else had this happen? It would be great if we could get a list going with known cydia apps to avoid for those of us who have no choice but to tether for now to avoid having to restore every couple of days.

4.2.10 tethered jailbreak is compatible with all Cydia packages. It's just like an untethered jailbreak but you have to boot tethered every time. All the Cydia packages will work tho.

I wish that was true... i'm not new at this, I reboot tethered after EVERY cydia package install. When the screen says "Reboot" I plug the phone in, power it down, run Redsnow, power the phone into DFU mode, and let Redsn0w do the tethered reboot. On CERTAIN cydia apps (Usually tweaks) it freezes at either the pineapple or the white apple and never moves. Then I have to restore and try another app. Most of the cydia apps work fine, however there are a few that dont. What i've noticed is most of the ones using the file "Mobile Substrate" are the ones that cause my phone to freeze during the tethered reboot.

It is true, I have a Verizon iphone tethered on 4.2.10 and it uses all the same apps that my 4.2.8 phone does without issue(Winterboard, SBSettings, Backgrounder, MultiFl0w, etc.). You just have to boot tethered every time the device reboots.

You have to use the most recent version of redsn0w 0.9.8b7b it is the ONLY version compatible with 4.2.10. If you jailbroke using any other version you have to do a fresh restore and us 0.9.8b7b and you have to remember that you have to boot tethered with redsn0w EVERY time you reboot the phone from now on.

Ok, whats the difference between Redsn0w 0.9.8b7 and 0.9.8b7b? I have the b7 version? Since it may make a difference, I'm in the midst of backing up, wiping and re-doing the jailbreak with b7b and will report back.

You have to use the most recent version of redsn0w 0.9.8b7b it is the ONLY version compatible with 4.2.10.

THAT WAS THE KEY!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I don't know why 0.9.8b7 didnt work and 0.9.8b7b does work, but it does and thats all that I care about! Thanks a bunch for helping me out. Its funny how something so small makes such a HUGE difference!:iphone4vert:

Can someone please point me to the correct files (and even a step-by-step process) that I need to jailbreak with 4.2.10? I know I had tried this tethered jailbreak in the past and it did not work so I am back to factory default. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.