What's new

Cutting standard SIM to Micro SIM ?

andy15star

Reaction score
Hi, my first post here!

I have the 3G and it's getting really slow, so i am going to get the iPhone 4 shortly. I have a standard SIM and because the tarriff is a fairly good one i want to stick with it.

I downloaded the template for cutting the SIM down to a Micro SIM, however, the chip on my SIM sits right at the very edge and if i used any of the templates out there it would chop straight through the gold contact of the SIM!!, so i'm not sure what to do.

See Post #4 below to see what i mean, i have scanned my SIM Card and the Template Sheet.

As you can see, if i followed that (or any of the other templates) then it would cut through the gold contact on the SIM. I would imagine it is important NOT to cut through the gold contacts, but i'm sure many other people must have a SIM card the same as mine, so i was just wondering what they did ??

Best Regards,
Andy

Last edited:
SORRY, i have to post 3 times before the link can be shown ....

It's below in #4

33nax6s.jpg

i wouldent risk doing it yourself like that, i would invest in a sim cutter that makes doing ti very easy. also your carrier will provide better deals for the iphone 4 or they will just give you a micro sim with the same tariff your on now..

i wouldent risk doing it yourself like that, i would invest in a sim cutter that makes doing ti very easy. also your carrier will provide better deals for the iphone 4 or they will just give you a micro sim with the same tariff your on now..

Thats the point though, Orange will charge me an extra £10 (per month!) on top of what i already pay just for the priveledge of a micro SIM !!. I rang them earlier today to confirm. They however did confirm that i could snip my existing SIM and save £120 a year by doing this !

I have just cut an identical PAYG Orange SIM using the sheet (Cut through the gold contacts too) and can confirm it actually DOES work, so my question answered.

Just curious to see if anyone else has any problems going down this route ?

Best Regards,
Andy

i ended up cutting my chips in half lol but its easy to do. my brother did it a few times very easily with out anything but another micro sim

I'll give it a go on my live SIM as soon as i get the iPhone 4. I think the worst that could happen is if i do break my SIM card then Orange will provide another one (i'll just say i lost it!) for £3. I can just keep doing that till i get it right lol !!. I'm sure i'll be fine though !

Andy

I'll give it a go on my live SIM as soon as i get the iPhone 4. I think the worst that could happen is if i do break my SIM card then Orange will provide another one (i'll just say i lost it!) for £3. I can just keep doing that till i get it right lol !!. I'm sure i'll be fine though !

Andy

maybe try 1st on a sim you dont care about losing..

what i did was i sent my sim to this guy on ebay who did it for me lol. but it was pay as you go with little money in there so i dident mind so much doing that

personally i tried like 4 times with sims i was given free from o2 and every time i cut the chip and made a mess of it. but it probably was the scissors i used or something and my shakey hands

Yeah ive just tried it on another Orange PAYG SIM (the chip looks exactly the same positioning as my live SIM) and although i don't have an iPhone 4 to check it in, i did put it in the SIM converter (which converts Micro SIM to Standard SIM) and put it in my iPhone and it worked fine. This was WITH the gold contact spliced through. So i'm assuming the outter gold contacts are not used at all !

Andy