What's new

[Critical iOS 8 News] Do NOT Upgrade to iCloud Drive During iOS 8 Installation!!!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
icloud-drive-optionB.jpg

We have a major warning to share with iOS users. Today is the day that Apple is making iOS 8 available to the public. There will be a number of reasons you will want to get iOS 8, but during the installation it is absolutely critical that you do NOT upgrade to iCloud Drive when the iOS 8 installation prompts you. This is especially important if you also use a Mac as your personal computer.

The reason for this is because iCloud Drive will only sync with devices running iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite (which hasn't been officially released yet). The full official version of Yosemite is expected in the next month or so. We are sure there are several of you who may be trying out the pre-release, but we must reiterate that iCloud Drive is NOT COMPATIBLE with iOS versions 7 and older, and it is NOT COMPATIBLE with OS X 10.9 Mavericks or older.

Additionally, if you mis-click this option, you will not be able to go back and undo this decision. This is why this article is so emphatic. Of course, if you are running the pre-release version of Yosemite, and you are able to upgrade all of your devices to iOS 8, then you can use the iCloud Drive option. You just need to weigh this carefully for your needs.

We have verified this with several sources. Here's a quote with more details from one of them,

But there’s a problem. Actually, there are three problems. Apple hasn’t officially released Yosemite yet, iCloud Drive doesn’t work in 10.9 Mavericks, and upgrading your iCloud account to use iCloud Drive in iOS 8 is a one-way street — once you upgrade, you can’t go back to the old document- and app-specific approach that’s compatible with Mavericks. So when iOS 8 asks you to upgrade to iCloud Drive, tap Not Now.

If you were to enable iCloud Drive, and use it for storing documents, you wouldn’t be able to see those documents on a Mac running Mavericks. Upgrading to iCloud Drive reportedly moves your data to different servers (and probably rearranges it to boot), so I’m guessing that Mavericks simply has no idea where to look for it.

Beyond the basic inability to access iCloud-stored documents on the Mac, this limitation also prevents you from working on iCloud-stored documents on both an iOS device and a Mac. So, if you’re a fan of switching back and forth between Pages on your iPad and on your iMac, you really want to postpone upgrading to iCloud Drive until Yosemite ships. ~ Tidbits

Above is a pic which shows you the precise step in the installation where you need to make this choice. During this step of the iOS 8 upgrade process you will see an option for iCloud Drive. You simply need to select "Not Now." After that, all of our iCloud data will still be accessible and all of your iCloud-enabled apps and content will continue to sync with all your iOS and OS X machines.

Thanks for the tip, @twerppoet!

Thank you for that dg and twerppoet, Thank goodness IOS 8 isn't in the app store here yet.

I wonder how many people are going to blindly upgrade without knowing about this. Thanks for letting us know, dgstorm and twerppoet

Thanks for heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you do if you already upgraded to iCloud drive before you read this?

I wonder how many people are going to blindly upgrade without knowing about this. Thanks for letting us know, dgstorm and twerppoet

Me, Me, Me

Argh.

Actually I don't store anything other than photos in iCloud.

I did the upgrade, but since my only devices are iDevices and both can have iOS 8, and iCloud Drive, I should be fine, right?

Lol I did the update and also the upgrade for iCloud Drive. But due to some limits of my internet data plan, I cancel the upgrade..lol..didn't notice about this issue..[emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't understand as there is a setting to turn on and turn off iCloud Drive under the settings menu? Currently mine is set to 'Off'

Initially my IOS 7 settings under 'documents & data' which states 'allow apps to store documents and data in iCloud' was always set to 'off'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really don't understand as there is a setting to turn on and turn off iCloud Drive under the settings menu? Currently mine is set to 'Off'

Initially my IOS 7 settings under 'documents & data' which states 'allow apps to store documents and data in iCloud' was always set to 'off'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Turning off iCloud Drive doesn't switch back to the old iCloud, it just turns off all cloud services.

Turning off iCloud Drive doesn't switch back to the old iCloud, it just turns off all cloud services.

Still confused! Under the settings menu I now have an option called iCloud drive, this option is currently turned off as I mentioned which I'm assuming iCloud drive used to be called 'documents & data' which states it allows apps to store documents and data in iCloud.

But with iOS 8 it is now called iCloud drive and is used to store docs and data in the cloud? Same thing?

Nevertheless if you have mistakenly upgraded to iCloud drive before knowingly being warned prior then all I have to do is wait until OS X Yosemite is released for my iMac and then it will sync to my IOS 8 device/s as stated on the preview.

Last edited: