What's new

CPU Chage out iPhone 6

melhadfield

Reaction score
Hi All
If I change the CPU from my water damaged iPhone 6 with a cpu from a good Iphone 6, am I right in assuming it will transfer the phone identity as regards carrier etc or will I also need to change the screen and digitizer and home button?

You can't change just the CPU, the entire motherboard has to be changed. You'd also have to change the home button/Touch ID as they're a matched set with the motherboard and aren't interchangeable.

thanks for that scifan57, is touch ID and home butoon same thing? or do I need the digitizer as well?
Cheers

Touch ID is a function of the home button. One thing though, you're not going to be able to get the Touch ID as the parts for a functional Touch ID system are only available to Apple and authorized third party repair centres. If you use mismatched parts it may function as a regular home button but the Touch ID won't work.

Touch ID is a function of the home button. One thing though, you're not going to be able to get the Touch ID as the parts for a functional Touch ID system are only available to Apple and authorized third party repair centres. If you use mismatched parts it may function as a regular home button but the Touch ID won't work.
thanks for that, not too bothered about the touch ID though

thanks for that, not too bothered about the touch ID though

You may not be worried about the functionality of the Touch ID system, but if IOS 8/9 detects a mis-matched sensor/screen, it will give you an Error 53 and likely brick the phone. There has been a lot of discussion about this recent in the news. Even a phone repaired at Apple gets this once in a while, and they just replace the phone.

You may not be worried about the functionality of the Touch ID system, but if IOS 8/9 detects a mis-matched sensor/screen, it will give you an Error 53 and likely brick the phone. There has been a lot of discussion about this recent in the news. Even a phone repaired at Apple gets this once in a while, and they just replace the phone.
The error 53 issue has been dealt with. A special iOS 9.2.1 update has been made available for affected iPhones which solves the problem. If you see error 53 and your iPhone or iPad gets stuck on the 'Connect to iTunes' screen - Apple Support