What's new

Corporate Iphones

Smileyman56

Reaction score
I just started working for a company that lends out Iphones to their employees who don't have smart phones. (Bet you didn't believe they still exist ;p) I was given an Iphone of a woman who used to work here but is still locked onto her account. At the moment we are trying to get in touch with her, but I have been put to the task to make sure this doesn't happen again. So, aside from creating backups, is there a way to get the situation under control? I was looking at this Apple business deployment program, but I'm a little nervous and not sure it is what I want. So if that is an option, can you explain a bit more how it works? Thanks in advance and sorry if this isn't the right spot to put it. wasn't too sure.
p.s. This is my favorite forum to lurk on. Everyone here is amazing ;)

The best way to prevent former employees leaving their corporate iPhones iCloud Activation Locked when they leave is to make sure the device is removed from their iCloud account, Find My iPhone is turned off, and the phone is wiped and returned to factory condition before they leave. Unless you can get in touch with that former employee and get her to remove the device from her account it will remain unusable.

The best way to prevent former employees leaving their corporate iPhones iCloud Activation Locked when they leave is to make sure the device is removed from their iCloud account, Find My iPhone is turned off, and the phone is wiped and returned to factory condition before they leave. Unless you can get in touch with that former employee and get her to remove the device from her account it will remain unusable.
There is no other prevention method? I'm looking for a way that if I'm not around and a person leaves the company, if the iphone doesn't get taken care of properly (the way you described) I can still easily reset the phone. I read a bit more about apple MDM, and that seems to be possible. So I'll try and report back when I can. Thank you though :)

There is no way to bypass Activation lock, either through MDM or any other method. The former employee can remove the device from her iCloud account and turn off Find My iPhone remotely, without having to come back to the office. All you'd have to do is make sure the device is turned on and connected to the internet so that is can detect and act on the command to erase itself.

Alright thanks. It looked like on MDM, I was able to put a superimposed account on the phone that would then be able to disable the under imposed account or something of the sort

I did some more research and if that iPhone was supervised under MDM you may be able to erase the device for a new user. This only applies if the device was under supervision before the employee first signed into her iCloud account and turned on Find My iPhone. Otherwise, the employee will have to remove the device from her account and turn off find my iPhone. Here's the Apple support page on the subject. Use Mobile Device Management and Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support