What's new

iPhone 4S business phone gift - phone still registered to previous user help?

58Burst

Reaction score
Hi,

A legitimate story, hope someone can help?

My son received a iphone 4S as a birthday present from his uncle. The phone was one from his uncles business. He employees many and I'd guess the initial contract was for 10+ iPhones.

The phone is registered to a former employee. The uncle has tried to contact the former employee who has the business phone but will not respond to any communication. I suspect the former employee was fired.

I have the former employees cloud address at the 'activation' prompt screen but only he knows his password.
I have spoken with Apple UK support who said there are two ways to deregister the phone. The first as above, contact the former user or retrieve 'proof of purchase' such as a receipt with the IEMI and serial numbers.

The accountant cannot find any record now for the Iphone 4S's though they are the businesses property.

I put this scenario to Apple Support and said from a business point of view if the former user will not deregister the phone from their Apple account and persists to be evasive where does this leave the business. They said these are the two only ways to resolve the issue.

I have been thinking of changing to a iPhone for myself but knowing this one scenario there could be other scenarios I am unaware of which puts me off a little given the lack of support should I lose my receipt or email receipt etc, etc.

So child with iPhone 4S carcass currently unable to unlock, deregister whatever the correct terminology is.
Is the situation able to be resolved another way or is it £15.00 for bits on ebay?

I have tried the dfu mode and unsuccessfully not restored the iPhone in iTunes. I get the following message:

The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014).

I've read a lot of blog online where accusing people with legitimate reasons (second hand re-sale etc..) to be treated like internet 'trolls'. I have come for help with a true situation. I am not trolling and will not respond to anyone who treats me as such.

Here goes..

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to iPhoneForums, 58Burst!

I'm sorry to say that the advice from Apple was right. There's no way to remove the iPhone from the former owner's iCloud ID without his cooperation, or without proof that you're the rightful owner. There's no workaround.

You might find some sites, promising they can remove iCloud's activation lock, for a certain amount of money. They are not trustworthy.

There's a difference to purchasing an iPhone and then forgetting the password of your iCloud account, though. You have several ways to retrieve it - security questions that only you can answer, a rescue email address that you can set up e.g. - where you don't have to contact Apple for help.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, 58Burst!

I'm sorry to say that the advice from Apple was right. There's no way to remove the iPhone from the former owner's iCloud ID without his cooperation, or without proof that you're the rightful owner. There's no workaround.

You might find some sites, promising they can remove iCloud's activation lock, for a certain amount of money. They are not trustworthy.

There's a difference to purchasing an iPhone and then forgetting the password of your iCloud account, though. You have several ways to retrieve it - security questions that only you can answer, a rescue email address that you can set up e.g. - where you don't have to contact Apple for help.
Hi,
Thanks for your honest response! Plan B is to buy a new or reconditioned one.
Sometimes a gift can be a whole can of worms..

Thanks once again for your advice :)

Hi,
Thanks for the link, it makes sense for the next step. Crucial information.
Its a shame what was a kind gesture has become what it has become.
I will read carefully for my next purchase.
Thanks
You're very welcome.