What's new

Continuing Education

Bacchus

Reaction score
I'm constantly learning things on this forum about how to best utilize my iPhone 4. Here's another question that's bugging me.

I keep getting notifications that I'm running out of storage and that I can manage my storage in 'settings'. I've looked into it there but don't really understand what I'm looking at.

Apps listed there each show an amount of storage (I presume) related to it. Am I supposed to know the appropriate amount for each app with the idea in mind that I can borrow a few mb's from one app to apply elsewhere? What do other folks do to manage their storage? Is there some sort of guideline to use?

As always, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.... :)

Do you use iTunes to back up and sync your device? On the summary page you can see approximately how much space your music, photos, apps, books, etc is using on the graph bar. There are ways to "clean" up your storage such as deleting old photos, messages, emails, etc. Also, not knowing what the notification is a result of...if it's from iCloud, you only have 5GB of free storage. If you are using it to store photos, music, etc it may be getting close to full unless you purchase more space.

You can also see on your iDevice how much storage it needs. To look at it, go to Settings - General - Usage - Storage. There you'll see how much you already need, and how much is still available.

iCloud storage can't be used to get more storage space on your iPhone, but it's used for mail, backups, and iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library (Beta) when your iPhone is running iOS 8.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. First, I had forgotten that I should sync fairly regularly and I'll look into doing that again. It may also help me if I move a lot of my photos to my photobucket account. I should've thought of that.

It's just that it's a slow process to move more than a few, check to see that they got safely moved, and then delete them from my phone. I can see what I have to do.... the challenge will be for me to get motivated to do it.

Thanks again. :)