What's new

contacts sync question

Accordlayingkit

Reaction score
I currently have both ipads and wife has iphone 4 and all of them have the newer 5.0 iso....or higher, whatever the latest is. My wife now says alot of her contacts are double or the way I may have some contacts named differently on ipad are also on her phone...why is that and how can I reverse that?

Did you use the same Apple account to set up the devices? Are you using iCloud to backup contacts?

You can off contacts in iCloud setting to prevent your iDevices sharing the same contacts, or simply use different iCloud account on your iDevices.

mwhartman said:
Did you use the same Apple account to set up the devices? Are you using iCloud to backup contacts?

Yea same apple account and icloud...so cutting off contcts in icloud on her iphone will take those contacts away right away?

Thanks guys

Yea same apple account and icloud...so cutting off contcts in icloud on her iphone will take those contacts away right away?

Thanks guys

If she wish, there is an option when you turn off contacts to keep the iCloud contacts on your phone or to delete them from the phone. In your case, you should select "delete iCloud contacts from the phone"

bab2010 said:
If she wish, there is an option when you turn off contacts to keep the iCloud contacts on your phone or to delete them from the phone. In your case, you should select "delete iCloud contacts from the phone"

Cool thanks

bab2010 said:

Well when my wife got home today she had already deleted all the contacts that were alot of mine from the iPads. So I went into settings/iCloud and cut off contacts, then delete. Well, it deleted everyone of her contacts, so I cut it back on and of course it added every contact back even the ones of mine from the iPads, so I deleted each one like she had done earlier. Now, should I jus not back hers up via iCloud and jus plug hers in to sync for now on?

Well when my wife got home today she had already deleted all the contacts that were alot of mine from the iPads. So I went into settings/iCloud and cut off contacts, then delete. Well, it deleted everyone of her contacts, so I cut it back on and of course it added every contact back even the ones of mine from the iPads, so I deleted each one like she had done earlier. Now, should I jus not back hers up via iCloud and jus plug hers in to sync for now on?
Sync her contacts from now going on with something else, (iTunes on computer, her gmail, or yahoo, or outlook, better she can create her own iCloud and sync her contacts to iCloud.)

bab2010 said:
Sync her contacts from now going on with something else, (iTunes on computer, her gmail, or yahoo, or outlook, better she can create her own iCloud and sync her contacts to iCloud.)

So if both iPads and the wife's iPhone 4 are all on the same iTunes account and I cloud account can I keep her device on the same I tunes account and jus create a iCloud account for her phone? If so, how do I go about doing that for her phone?

Thanks!

You can create as many as iCloud or iTunes account you want. Also you can login your iTunes account on your iPhone with account X and login iCloud account on your iPhone with account Y
There is no conflict with that.

bab2010 said:
You can create as many as iCloud or iTunes account you want. Also you can login your iTunes account on your iPhone with account X and login iCloud account on your iPhone with account Y

Gotcha....that's what I was wondering....thanks!

bab2010 said:

Ok setup iCloud account on my wife's phone.....but before I did that I started erasing some of the bookmarks that were on my iPads that got on her phone....not realizing as I was deleting them off her phone took them off my iPads as well!!!ahhhhh anyway I can get my bookmarks back to my iPads?

My iphone and iPad just sync. Contact using iCloud , how to make all contact in both device. As before iCloud I enter each device manually.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=1.445604,103.806398

Setup iCloud, turn contacts ON in iCloud.
If you are already having some contacts in your iPhone, iCloud will suggest you that it will merge your iPhone contacts with iCloud contacts. If you are not having any contact in the phone, then the next time you enter a new contact, it will automatically sync up to your iCloud contacts.
Once you've agree iCloud to merge with the contacts present in your iPhone or added all the new contacts you want and iCloud finish syncing them up, use your same iCloud user name and password in your other iPhone and all your contacts in iCloud will be shown in your second iPhone too. Note that any change you will make to your contacts on any of your iPhone will also be made on iCloud automatically.