What's new

Consumers Want iPhone 5, Not iPad Mini, According to Survey

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad_mini_case.JPG

Although Apple has yet to officially announce the iPad mini yet (we’ve got to wait until September 12 for that), it’s pretty much a certainty that a smaller version of the iPad will be with us before the end of the year. Some of us think this is a great move by Apple and are already making plans to buy one, but according to a survey reported on by Cult of Mac today, the majority of consumers polled would actually prefer to buy the new iPhone (also to be announced on September 12, we think) than an iPad mini, given the choice. The survey, from CouponCodes4u.com, polled 1,873 Americans on the matter, and found that 78% of respondents said that they are more likely to buy the next iPhone rather than the iPad mini. 77% of that 78% already owned an iPhone. When they were asked why they preferred to get a new iPhone rather than the iPad mini, 46% said that the iPad mini was “pointless” whereas 39% said that it was because they would use the iPhone more. Of the minority who said that they would prefer to buy an iPad mini instead of an iPhone, 52% already have an iPad. 69% of those who preferred the iPad mini gave the reason for their choice as being because the next iPhone would not be much different to the current iPhone 4S. 41% of all respondents actually said that Apple should not even be releasing the iPad mini. Very interesting stuff. I have to say that I think the iPad mini will most definitely find its market, especially if it’s competitively priced. We’ll just have to wait and see though!

Source: Nearly 80% Of Americans Would Shun iPad Mini In Favor Of iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac

If the next phone was the size of the galaxy s note I'd be all over it.

I dont know about that one because for me the galaxy S is huge but maybe because I am used to the tiny iphone 4 screen lol but I will get it either way and after using the ipad the iphone seems even smaller but also an ipad mini? I would never buy a mini ipad as its basically the ipod touch and sure it wont be that small but I think the current ipad screen is perfect size and I agree with the news in that I would rather then iphone 5

Unleashed said:
I dont know about that one because for me the galaxy S is huge but maybe because I am used to the tiny iphone 4 screen lol but I will get it either way and after using the ipad the iphone seems even smaller but also an ipad mini? I would never buy a mini ipad as its basically the ipod touch and sure it wont be that small but I think the current ipad screen is perfect size and I agree with the news in that I would rather then iphone 5

Isn't the iPhone pretty much a iPad mini?? Do you really need both?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I wont buy an iPad mini,i too like the size of the current iPad,i just cant see the point in the mini,i will however be buying the next iPhone 

Last edited:
Isn't the iPhone pretty much a iPad mini?? Do you really need both?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

It's more want then need but the iPhone screen is not nice to browse the web with plus my iPad has 64gb as I have the iPhone 4 and not he 4S plus some apps in the app store for the iPad only are pretty sweet so there are many reasons to have both and of course needing a phone for work.

It's more want then need but the iPhone screen is not nice to browse the web..
Exactly the reason I want the iPad mini. For me the iPad is great for at-home use but I would like a smaller form factor to stick in my pocket for out-and-about use. My 4S screen is great but a little small for web browsing.

No thanks on the iPad Mini. I have an iPhone, iPad and Mac. There's no room for a 4th device. Maybe down the road I will opt for the smaller iPad but I doubt it. But as far as the next iPhone. Unless it's a colossal disappointment, it'll be a first day purchase for sure

I would be very interested in an iPad mini! Would love the portability of it if I don't want to bring my iPad with me on a short trip.
Please don't take this as offensive in anyway. I am actually very curious. What would you use it for that you couldn't use the current sized iPad or your iPhone for? And for those things, could you justify a possible $200-$400 price? Again, just curious and picking your brain a little.

Please don't take this as offensive in anyway. I am actually very curious. What would you use it for that you couldn't use the current sized iPad or your iPhone for? And for those things, could you justify a possible $200-$400 price? Again, just curious and picking your brain a little.

I currently own a nook and have my Books synced to my iPad. In addition, attending Graduate School i have many Clinical Research Articles that are also synced to my iPad. So having the mini would be a great convenience for me when I am at the gym, waiting for an appointment etc...something that won't take as much room in my brief case/gym bag compared to the iPad. Prior to getting an iPad, I felt that the size of the Nook was a very convenient size to carry around when I travel.

I currently own a nook and have my Books synced to my iPad. In addition, attending Graduate School i have many Clinical Research Articles that are also synced to my iPad. So having the mini would be a great convenience for me when I am at the gym, waiting for an appointment etc...something that won't take as much room in my brief case/gym bag compared to the iPad. Prior to getting an iPad, I felt that the size of the Nook was a very convenient size to carry around when I travel.
I see, I see. That would be a good reason. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing one if/when they are announced, I just am trying to justify it for my needs. I appreciate the response!

Unleashed said:

I actually like the bigger size.